Essays are presented which discuss drilling for petroleum in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in Alaska. The essays cover the controversy from several angles and provide information on the history of oil exploration in Alaska, the history of ANWR, and important events and terms related to the discussion.
This article focuses on the oil prospecting activity at various sites in Alaska. On the very northern cusp of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is...
Ban Alaskan oil exports--and protect US consumers.
Christian Science Monitor
Discusses the reasons given by United States president George W. Bush for opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drill for oil and gas.
Opposed to Drilling
Presents a letter to the editor in opposition of oil drilling in the Arctic.
Presents several reasons for opposing the drilling of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Why Oil and Wildlife Don't Mix
Editorial. Focuses on the opening of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling and development in the United States. Arctic and subarctic...
From the Executive Director
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses the impact of Arctic oil drilling program on Arctic region.
To Drill or Not to Drill
Focuses on the issue of petroleum drilling by oil companies in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Complaints of environmentalists on the...
BP moves in on the Arctic
Focuses on the protests made by Greenpeace activists against BP Amoco's Arctic oil drilling. Effect of the BP Amoco oil drilling to the Arctic ice...
Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
Environmental Health Perspectives
The article focuses on the offshore drilling plans in the Arctic Ocean after the explosion of British Petroleum's Deep Water Horizon oil rig in the...
Where the Caribou Roam
Narrates a trip to the Caribou Pass in Kongakut River in Alaska. Facts on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska; Information on a...
Moratorium Won't Stop Unprecedented BP Project in the Arctic
A blog related to BP PLC's offshore drilling project called Liberty in the Arctic despite freeze on offshore drilling permits by the U.S. government...
Reports on the debate over the drilling in the Arctic regions. Efforts of oil companies to influence the proposal; Reference to the advertisement by...
ConocoPhillips drops out of Arctic Power lobby group
National Petroleum News
Reports that Houston, Texas-based ConocoPhillips has dropped out of the Arctic Power, a lobbying group that promotes the opening of the coastal plain...
Scholastic News -- Edition 4
Presents a debate on whether Congress should vote for allowing companies to drill oil at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
Drilling Paradise Dry?
Science World (Teacher's Edition)
Provides information as well as teaching materials for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
The real cost of drilling
Christian Science Monitor
Focuses on the debate surrounding Congress' proposal to conduct exploratory drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).
Around the World: THE ARCTIC
Earth Island Journal
Provides information on the oil-drilling Northstar project of British Petroleum in the Arctic Ocean.
Arctic Oil: Black Gold or Fool's Gold?
Discusses issues surrounding the opening of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil drilling and development.
Arctic Drilling Articles A-Z
- 60 SECONDS
- A DECLARATION OPPOSING OIL DEVELOPMENT IN THE ARCTIC REFUGE
- A House panel voted to open the Arctic wildlife refuge
- A joint House-Senate
- A Pimm and Proper World: An Interview with Biologist Stuart Pimm
- A Pipeline of Lies
- A waste of energy?
- Action in the Arctic
- Adversaries in the Arctic
- Alaskan Refuge
- Alaskans Back ANWAR Drilling An a Protected Environment
- All 30 Arctic Sunrise environmentalists arrested (Part 2)
- All 30 Arctic Sunrise environmentalists arrested
- Americans Will Again Fight To Protect the Arctic Refuge
- Another testy relationship
- ANWR Battle Continues Despite Senate's Failure to End Filibuster
- ANWR Clears Senate Hurdle, Barely
- ANWR split gives GOP 2 platforms
- Arctic Development Threatens Birds
- Arctic drilling halted by Shell
- Arctic drilling plans halted
- Arctic drilling rule coming 'shortly,' federal agency says
- Arctic Drilling: An Overview
- Arctic Drilling: Guide to Critical Analysis
- Arctic drilling: now the climate changes
- Arctic E&P activity gains new ground
- Arctic Mayhem, Contrails and Climate, and Dirty Diesels
- Arctic mistakes
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Too Wild To Waste
- Arctic oil drilling needs better federal regulation (+video)
- Arctic Oil, Frozen Dialogue
- Arctic Oil: Black Gold or Fool's Gold?
- Arctic Refuge Survives Another Year of Scheming
- Arctic regulators consider offshore drilling rules as industry interest grows
- Arctic to be kept on ice by Shell
- Around the World: THE ARCTIC
- Artic Shootout Coming Up in Senate
- Audubon View
- Ban Alaskan oil exports--and protect US consumers
- BLACK GOLD RUSH
- Border guards who seized Arctic Sunrise breached intl law - Greenpeace
- BP moves in on the Arctic
- Britons held over Russia oil protest
- Britons jailed in Russia over Arctic oil protest
- Cairn wins Greenpeace restraining order
- Canada's Approach to Arctic Science and Engineering
- CENTURY'S THEME
- Chilling Conclusions
- Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
- Collaboration pinpoints Arctic technology needs
- ConocoPhillips drops out of Arctic Power lobby group
- ConocoPhillips Ends ANWR Lobbying
- Crosby and Commentaries
- Democrats Make War on Tax Cuts, Energy Independence
- Drilling blocked in Arctic Refuge
- Drilling in the Arctic Ocean
- Drilling Paradise Dry?
- Dry Well for Sanity
- Dutch police storm Greenpeace ship trying to block Arctic oil delivery
- Energy stirrings
- From the Executive Director
- Frozen Assets
- Fuel farce as polar bear is arrested in Arctic protest
- Gentler footsteps on the tundra
- GLOBAL DATA
- Going, Going...Gone?
- GOP push for new drilling
- Governing destruction
- Government Delays Shell's Drilling Operations in the Arctic
- Greenpeace 30 must stay in Russia
- Greenpeace strikes a nerve with Shell
- Grilling for Shell
- House may scrap even the finished bills on spending
- Ice Bound
- In Alaska, Oil is Still the Issue
- IN THE EYES OF A WOLF
- INSIDE ALASKA BUSINESS
- IT'S A R-E-F-U-G-E
- Landrieu's vote swap on ANWR could help save Louisiana coast
- Large resources, big challenges
- Lawmaker: Taxes from Oil Exploration Could Fund Roads
- LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT
- Linda Chavez
- Long wait
- Lusting after black gold
- MEASURING THE END OF THE WORLD
- Melt, smash and grab
- Midnight hour for Alaska's coastal plain
- Moratorium Won't Stop Unprecedented BP Project in the Arctic
- More Energy is the Simple Solution to the Energy Crisis
- National energy demands, desire to export, maturing plays push frontier exploration
- Native Alaskans Speak Out About Refuge
- Netherlands takes legal action against Russia over Greenpeace activists
- New push to pump oil from Alaska refuge
- No more oil spills
- No need to panic, melting ice means more oil
- Oil debate in Alaska is all in a name
- Oil Drill
- Oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Oil giant Total SA speaks out against offshore drilling in Arctic
- Oil in Alaska: Spread Out and Drill
- Oil spill fears halt Shell's drilling plans
- Oily hypocrites
- On Thin Ice
- Opposed to Drilling
- Parker Drilling's Arctic Alaska Drilling Units
- Photographer and Arctic Sunrise press secretary leave St. Petersburg pre-trial detention center
- Pinnacle of protest: Women scale 1,016ft Shard
- Pool Arctic Alaska: Drilling for dollars
- Pool Energy Services Co
- Postcard: Greenland
- PRESSURE TO DRILL INCREASES FOR ARCTIC REFUGE
- Protected areas could be opened to drilling
- Protesters shut 40 of Shell's London garages
- Republicans Win Key Budget Victories
- RESISTANCE TO ARCTIC DRILLING THAWS
- RESOURCE MATH
- Rich rewards but caution should be welcomed
- Rig talk
- RIGHT & LEFT: Congressional Votes
- Rosgeologia proposing to resume parametric drilling on arctic islands, shelf
- Save Our Arctic!
- Sea Change
- Senate and House on collission course
- Senate votes against drilling in Alaska
- Senate, House go head to head
- Sharpening the Drills
- Shell accused of ignoring safety advice over Kulluk rig to 'save millions in tax'
- Shell delays Arctic drilling for another year
- Shell Ends Plans For Arctic Drilling This Year
- Shell has 'every intention' of pushing into Arctic waters despite setbacks
- Shell pauses its Arctic drilling effort after a series of problems
- Shell puts its Arctic drilling plans on ice
- Shell rig incident sparks drill fears
- Shell set to review Alaskan adventure
- Shell suspends Arctic drilling plans to 2013
- Shell to drill again off Alaska's Arctic coast
- Shell vows to pursue Arctic drilling plans
- Shell's bid to drill for oil in Alaska on ice
- SHELL'S PLAN FOR 2014
- Shell's Slick Track Record
- Should Drilling Be Permitted in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge?
- Should We Drill in Alaska?
- site geist
- Six Greenpeace Britons bailed
- Slickrock certitudes
- Spin machine
- Stat Attack: 65,000
- Stop Norway's Arctic Drilling
- TAKING ACTIONâ€¦
- taking protest to new heights
- TEA WITH MARDY
- Teamsters support oil exploration in Alaska
- TEN REASONS
- The coveted slope
- The Debate Over Oil Drilling in the Alaskan Wild
- The grand plans of Congressman Udall
- The impact on other public lands
- The Last Wilderness
- THE NEVER-ENDING WORLD OF RISK
- The Oil Barrel is Half Full
- The real cost of drilling
- The Risky Business of Arctic Drilling
- The walrus or the oil?
- TIME FOR AN OIL CHANGE
- To Drill or Not to Drill
- To the highest bidder
- Up front
- Update from AMS's Congressional Science Fellow
- US scuppers Shell's hopes of drilling Alaskan Arctic
- US unveils Arctic strategy, but is it keeping pace with other countries?
- US-Russia drill team
- Welding On Arctic Pipeline Challenges Construction Crews
- What's the Drill?
- Where the Caribou Roam
- WHITE BEARS, BLACK OIL
- Why Oil and Wildlife Don't Mix
- Wilderness Is Us
- Writer's works argue case against Alaska oil drilling