Essays are presented which discuss drilling for petroleum in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in Alaska. The essays cover the controversy from several angles and provide information on the history of oil exploration in Alaska, the history of ANWR, and important events and terms related to the discussion.
This article focuses on the oil prospecting activity at various sites in Alaska. On the very northern cusp of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is...
Ban Alaskan oil exports--and protect US consumers.
Christian Science Monitor
Discusses the reasons given by United States president George W. Bush for opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drill for oil and gas.
Opposed to Drilling
Presents a letter to the editor in opposition of oil drilling in the Arctic.
Presents several reasons for opposing the drilling of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Why Oil and Wildlife Don't Mix
Editorial. Focuses on the opening of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling and development in the United States. Arctic and subarctic...
From the Executive Director
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses the impact of Arctic oil drilling program on Arctic region.
To Drill or Not to Drill
Focuses on the issue of petroleum drilling by oil companies in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Complaints of environmentalists on the...
BP moves in on the Arctic
Focuses on the protests made by Greenpeace activists against BP Amoco's Arctic oil drilling. Effect of the BP Amoco oil drilling to the Arctic ice...
Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
Environmental Health Perspectives
The article focuses on the offshore drilling plans in the Arctic Ocean after the explosion of British Petroleum's Deep Water Horizon oil rig in the...
Where the Caribou Roam
Narrates a trip to the Caribou Pass in Kongakut River in Alaska. Facts on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska; Information on a...
Moratorium Won't Stop Unprecedented BP Project in the Arctic
A blog related to BP PLC's offshore drilling project called Liberty in the Arctic despite freeze on offshore drilling permits by the U.S. government...
Reports on the debate over the drilling in the Arctic regions. Efforts of oil companies to influence the proposal; Reference to the advertisement by...
ConocoPhillips drops out of Arctic Power lobby group
National Petroleum News
Reports that Houston, Texas-based ConocoPhillips has dropped out of the Arctic Power, a lobbying group that promotes the opening of the coastal plain...
Scholastic News -- Edition 4
Presents a debate on whether Congress should vote for allowing companies to drill oil at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
Drilling Paradise Dry?
Science World (Teacher's Edition)
Provides information as well as teaching materials for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
Around the World: THE ARCTIC
Earth Island Journal
Provides information on the oil-drilling Northstar project of British Petroleum in the Arctic Ocean.
Arctic drilling halted by Shell
SHELL has halted controversial oil drilling in the Arctic after just one day, due to sea ice encroaching on the operation.
taking protest to new heights
SIX female activists were today scaling The Shard, London's tallest skyscraper, in a protest against drilling in the Arctic.
Arctic Drilling Articles A-Z
- A DECLARATION OPPOSING OIL DEVELOPMENT IN THE ARCTIC REFUGE
- A House panel voted to open the Arctic wildlife refuge
- A joint House-Senate
- A Pimm and Proper World: An Interview with Biologist Stuart Pimm
- A Trojan Retreat
- A waste of energy?
- Action in the Arctic
- Activists celebrate after Shell scraps drilling off Alaska
- Adversaries in the Arctic
- Alaskan Refuge
- Alaskans Back ANWAR Drilling An a Protected Environment
- All 30 Arctic Sunrise environmentalists arrested (Part 2)
- All 30 Arctic Sunrise environmentalists arrested
- America's E&P pushed by strong US gas prices, stable oil prices
- Americans Will Again Fight To Protect the Arctic Refuge
- Another testy relationship
- ANWR Battle Continues Despite Senate's Failure to End Filibuster
- ANWR Clears Senate Hurdle, Barely
- ANWR split gives GOP 2 platforms
- Arctic a Global Warming Hotspot
- Arctic Development Threatens Birds
- Arctic drilling halted by Shell
- Arctic drilling leases canceled
- Arctic drilling plans halted
- Arctic Drilling: An Overview
- Arctic Drilling: Guide to Critical Analysis
- Arctic drilling: now the climate changes
- Arctic E&P activity gains new ground
- Arctic mistakes
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Too Wild To Waste
- Arctic oil drilling needs better federal regulation (+video)
- Arctic Oil's Political Allure
- Arctic Oil, Frozen Dialogue
- Arctic Oil: Black Gold or Fool's Gold?
- Arctic Refuge Survives Another Year of Scheming
- Arctic regulators consider offshore drilling rules as industry interest grows
- Arctic storms speed up methane burps
- Arctic to be kept on ice by Shell
- Around the World: THE ARCTIC
- Artic Shootout Coming Up in Senate
- Audubon View
- Ban Alaskan oil exports--and protect US consumers
- BLACK GOLD RUSH
- Border guards who seized Arctic Sunrise breached intl law - Greenpeace
- BP moves in on the Arctic
- Britons held over Russia oil protest
- Britons jailed in Russia over Arctic oil protest
- Cairn wins Greenpeace restraining order
- Canada's Approach to Arctic Science and Engineering
- Charlotte's got a rather nasty case of Emma Thompson-itis!
- Chevron cancels Canadian Arctic drilling
- Chilling Conclusions
- Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
- COLD RUSH
- Collaboration pinpoints Arctic technology needs
- ConocoPhillips drops out of Arctic Power lobby group
- ConocoPhillips Ends ANWR Lobbying
- Democrats Make War on Tax Cuts, Energy Independence
- Did You Know?
- Drilling blocked in Arctic Refuge
- Drilling in the Arctic Ocean
- Drilling Paradise Dry?
- Dry Well for Sanity
- Dutch police storm Greenpeace ship trying to block Arctic oil delivery
- Energy stirrings
- FIGHTING THE LEVIATHAN
- From the Executive Director
- Frozen Assets
- Fuel farce as polar bear is arrested in Arctic protest
- Gazprom Neft readies for arctic drilling
- Gentler footsteps on the tundra
- Governing destruction
- Government Delays Shell's Drilling Operations in the Arctic
- Greenpeace 30 must stay in Russia
- Greenpeace strikes a nerve with Shell
- Grilling for Shell
- House may scrap even the finished bills on spending
- In Alaska, Oil is Still the Issue
- IN THE EYES OF A WOLF
- INSIDE ALASKA BUSINESS
- Large resources, big challenges
- Lawmaker: Taxes from Oil Exploration Could Fund Roads
- Linda Chavez
- Long wait
- Low oil prices sink Chevron Arctic drilling plans
- Lusting after black gold
- MEASURING THE END OF THE WORLD
- Midnight hour for Alaska's coastal plain
- Moratorium Won't Stop Unprecedented BP Project in the Arctic
- More Energy is the Simple Solution to the Energy Crisis
- National energy demands, desire to export, maturing plays push frontier exploration
- Native Alaskans Speak Out About Refuge
- Netherlands takes legal action against Russia over Greenpeace activists
- New push to pump oil from Alaska refuge
- No more oil spills
- No need to panic, melting ice means more oil
- Obama's Arctic folly
- Oil debate in Alaska is all in a name
- Oil Drill
- Oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Oil giant Total SA speaks out against offshore drilling in Arctic
- Oil in Alaska: Spread Out and Drill
- Oil spill fears halt Shell's drilling plans
- Oily hypocrites
- On Thin Ice
- Opposed to Drilling
- Parker Drilling's Arctic Alaska Drilling Units
- Photographer and Arctic Sunrise press secretary leave St. Petersburg pre-trial detention center
- Pinnacle of protest: Women scale 1,016ft Shard
- Pool Arctic Alaska: Drilling for dollars
- Pool Energy Services Co
- Postcard: Greenland
- PRESSURE TO DRILL INCREASES FOR ARCTIC REFUGE
- Protected areas could be opened to drilling
- Protesters shut 40 of Shell's London garages
- QUOTE OF THE DAY
- RESISTANCE TO ARCTIC DRILLING THAWS
- Rich rewards but caution should be welcomed
- Rig talk
- RIGHT & LEFT: Congressional Votes
- Rosgeologia proposing to resume parametric drilling on arctic islands, shelf
- Rosneft, ExxonMobil to round off Arctic drilling Oct 10
- Russia says Arctic well drilled with Exxon strikes oil
- Sea Change
- Senate and House on collission course
- Sharpening the Drills
- Shell accused of ignoring safety advice over Kulluk rig to 'save millions in tax'
- Shell delays Arctic drilling for another year
- Shell Ends Plans For Arctic Drilling This Year
- Shell has 'every intention' of pushing into Arctic waters despite setbacks
- Shell plans Arctic drilling restart
- Shell puts its Arctic drilling plans on ice
- Shell rig incident sparks drill fears
- Shell set to review Alaskan adventure
- Shell suspends Arctic drilling plans to 2013
- Shell to drill again off Alaska's Arctic coast
- Shell vows to pursue Arctic drilling plans
- Shell's bid to drill for oil in Alaska on ice
- SHELL'S PLAN FOR 2014
- Shell's Slick Track Record
- Should Drilling Be Permitted in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge?
- Should We Drill in Alaska?
- site geist
- Six Greenpeace Britons bailed
- Slickrock certitudes
- Sneak Attack on Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge -- Now Underway in Congress!
- Spin machine
- Stop Norway's Arctic Drilling
- taking protest to new heights
- TEN REASONS
- The coveted slope
- The Debate Over Oil Drilling in the Alaskan Wild
- The grand plans of Congressman Udall
- The impact on other public lands
- The Last Wilderness
- THE NEVER-ENDING WORLD OF RISK
- The Oil Barrel is Half Full
- THE PADDLE IN SEATTLE AGAINST BIG OIL
- The real cost of drilling
- The Risky Business of Arctic Drilling
- The walrus or the oil?
- TIME FOR AN OIL CHANGE
- To Drill or Not to Drill
- To the highest bidder
- Up front
- US approves Shell oil drilling in Arctic
- US scuppers Shell's hopes of drilling Alaskan Arctic
- US unveils Arctic strategy, but is it keeping pace with other countries?
- US-Russia drill team
- Using of Ice for Constructing Islands in the Arctic Conditions
- Welding On Arctic Pipeline Challenges Construction Crews
- What's the Drill?
- Where the Caribou Roam
- WHITE BEARS, BLACK OIL
- Why Oil and Wildlife Don't Mix
- Why should the Arctic Refuge matter to the ski industry?
- Wilderness Is Us
- Writer's works argue case against Alaska oil drilling