- Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis: Do No Harm. Akhtar, Saadia R. // Critical Care Alert;Dec2009, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p66
A single-center retrospective observational study found that stress ulcer prophylaxis is used in a majority of ICU patients, despite absence of risk factors for stress ulcers.
- CDT-4. Ring, Trudy // Access;Jan2003, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p16
Discusses the latest round of revisions to the American Dental Association's Current Dental Terminology in the U.S. in 2003. Redefinition of the procedure code for prophylaxis; Need for greater public awareness on dental code updates; Implications on dental hygienists.
- Clinical Guideline on the Role of Dental Prophylaxis in Pediatric Dentistry. // Pediatric Dentistry;Reference Manual 2003-2004, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p64
This article presents the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) guideline for the role of dental prophylaxis in pediatric dentistry. The AAPD advocates for the best oral health care for infants, children, and adolescents.
- PHYSIOLOGICAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR PERIODONTAL HEALTH CARE. KAWAMURA, Y. // Advances in Dental Research;Nov1988, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p376
The article presents a speech by Y. Kawamura of Osaka University, which was presented at the Sunstar Portside symposium on November 14-15 of 1986 in Kobe, Japan. In the speech Kawamura discussed physiological considerations for periodontal health care.
- Healthy mouth, healthy body. // Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA);Apr2006, Vol. 137 Issue 4, p563
The article discusses the link between periodontitis and other systemic diseases. Systemic diseases such as diabetes, blood cell disorders, and AIDS can lead to more complications. Studies showed that oral bacteria may be associated with cardiovascular problems, and people with diabetes may...
- From Repair to Prevention: The Wellness Model of Care. Martin, John A. // International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry;2004, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p411
The article presents the author's thoughts regarding the wellness model of dental care. The repair model of dental care, which treats signs and symptoms of diseases, is described, noting that the wellness model treats symptoms as well as their underlying causes. The increasing knowledge...
- how does your perio care fare? Teel-Wall, Rachel // Modern Hygienist;Oct2006, Vol. 2 Issue 8, p30
The article provides information about periodontal disease and dental care. Diagnosing periodontal disease at an early stage benefits patients. Guide questions provided by dentists that will help patients determine their periodontal percentage and periodontal status are listed. These reflect the...
- Artificial Plaque Removal with Carisolv System: A Clinical Approach. Yamada, Yoshishige; Hossain, Mozammal; Kimura, Yuichi; Nakamura, Yukio; Masuda, Yoshiko; Shimizu, Yuko; Matsumoto, Koukichi // Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry;Mar2007, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p199
In the present study, removal of artificial plaque in pits and fissures with the Carisolv system was compared with that of conventional bristle brush method, in vitro. The results indicate that in the dental clinic, complete plaque removal with the Carisolv is possible, and in addition to acid...
- Treating periodontal disease without surgery. // Consumer Reports on Health;Sep2002, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p7
Reports on research results which indicate that the nonsurgical treatment combination of aggressive cleaning and short-term antibiotics saves the teeth of patients with periodontal disease. Use of aggressive cleaning technique known as root planing and scaling; Prescription of metronidazole or...