- THE POSSIBILITY OF EVIL: A KEY TO SHIRLEY JACKSON'S FICTION. Parks, John G. // Studies in Short Fiction;Summer78, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p320
Focuses on the basic elements of the short story 'The Possibility of Evil,' by Shirley Jackson. Economy of language in the story; Inclusion of a female protagonist; Sense of depravity in the story.
- AN OLD TESTAMENT ANALOGUE FOR â€˜THE LOTTERYâ€™. Gibson, James M. // Journal of Modern Literature;
Evaluates the short story 'The Lottery,' by Shirley Jackson.
- 'FARTHER THAN SAMARKAND': THE ESCAPE THEME IN SHIRLEY JACKSON'S 'THE TOOTH.' Pascal, Richard // Studies in Short Fiction;
Explores the escape theme in the short story 'The Tooth,' by Shirley Jackson. Relationship of housewife Clara Spencer with her husband; Ultimate dream of Clara in the course of her drugged journey of enchantment; Role played by the character of Jim in the story.
- Strangers In Town. Jackson, Shirley // Saturday Evening Post;5/30/1959, Vol. 231 Issue 48, p18
Presents the short story "Strangers in Town," by Shirley Jackson.
- The bus. Jackson, Shirley // Saturday Evening Post;3/27/1965, Vol. 238 Issue 6, p62
Presents the short story "The Bus," by Shirley Jackson.
- STRANGERS IN TOWN. Jackson, Shirley // Saturday Evening Post;Sep1982, Vol. 254 Issue 6, p70
Presents the short story "Strangers in Town," by Shirley Jackson, illustrated by Phil Smith.
- A Critique of the Sampling Plan Used In Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery' Williams, Richard H. // Journal of Modern Literature;Sep79, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p543
Identifies a flaw in the sampling plan used to select the victim in the short story 'The lottery,' by Shirley Jackson. Theme of the short story; Layout of the sampling plan; Alternative two-stage sampling plan.
- MANIPULATION IN SHIRLEY JACKSON'S 'SEVEN TYPES OF AMBIGUITY' Welch, Dennis M. // Studies in Short Fiction;Winter81, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p27
Discusses the failure of scholars to consider Shirley Jackson's fictional techniques in short story 'Seven Types of Ambiguity,' such as a possible ruse in the story and the subtle ambiguity based on the ruse and suggested by the story's title. Review of a selection of commentaries on the work;...
- Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery' and Other Stories (Book). Selwyn, Laurie // Library Journal;5/15/1989, Vol. 114 Issue 9, p110
Reviews the audiobook "Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery' and Other Stories," by Shirley Jackson and narrated by Maureen Stapleton.