Paley's watchmaker (early 19th century) Biology
- "Intelligent Design": Wave of the Future or Ghost of the Past? Sleep, Norman // Reports of the National Center for Science Education;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p25
The article discusses the concept of historic and philosophical evolution of the modern "intelligent design" creationism. It highlights the discussion on the book "Natural Theology," by William Paley which contributes to the understanding of the theory of evolution. It also explores on the...
- William Paley's Natural Theology: An Anglican Classic? Cole, Graham // Journal of Anglican Studies;Dec2007, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p209
The article reviews the book "Natural Theology," by William Paley.
- William Paley, 1743-1805. Moore, Randy // Reports of the National Center for Science Education;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p26
A biography of William Paley, a popular clergy and a theologian, is presented. He was born in July 1743 in Peterborough, England and graduated from University of Cambridge. He is a married to Jane Hewitt and has eight children. As a clergy and theologian, he has his published his Cambridge...
- NATURAL THEOLOGY. Thomson, Keith Stewart // American Scientist;May/Jun97, Vol. 85 Issue 3, p219
Presents information on the book 'Natural Theology,' by Reverend William Paley. Importance of the book; Discussion of the scientific argument on atheism presented in the book; Influence of Paley on Charles Darwin.
- Natural Theology. Roberts, Michael // Science & Christian Belief;Oct2007, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p199
The article reviews the book "Natural Theology," by William Paley and edited by Matthew Eddy and David Knight.
- Paley Memorial Sermon. McGrath, Alister // Science & Christian Belief;Oct2006, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p181
The article presents a sermon preached at a memorial service for the late Archdeacon William Paley at Carlisle Cathedral in England on May 23, 2005 by Reverend Alister E. McGrath. Paley believes that nature shows signs of purposeful design and construction. Paley argues that people are unable to...
- William Paley's Lost "Intelligent Design". Shapiro, Adam R. // History & Philosophy of the Life Sciences;2009, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p55
William Paley's Natural Theology has experienced a resurgence in popularity in recent decades with the continuing controversies over the teaching of evolution and the emergence of a new "intelligent design" movement. But while both the movement's supporters and detractors agree that Paley is an...
- Darwin and Paley Meet the Invisible Hand. Gould, Stephen Jay // Natural History;Nov90, Vol. 99 Issue 11, p8
Analyzes the Reverend William Paley's diverse arguments for God's existence in the late 18th century. Focus on how God displays himself in the natural world; View that organisms are well designed for definite purpose; Paley's response to two major alternatives to his proposition; Flaws in...
- CHAPTER 5: Creation and Evolution. DOWE, PHIL // Galileo, Darwin, & Hawking: The Interplay of Science, Reason & R;2005, p104
Chapter 5 of the book "Galileo, Darwin, and Hawking: The Interplay of Science, Reason, and Religion" is presented. It discusses the theories of evolution and creation as an example of the interaction between science and religion. It examines the concept of teleological explanation, as well as...