Oparin-Haldane hypothesis (20th century) Biology
- phenotype theory (1924) Biology. // Dictionary of Theories;2002, p409
A definition of the term "phenotype theory" is presented. It is a theory in biology proposed by Russian biochemist Aleksandr Ivanovich Oparin. It holds that primitive cells evolved from coagulated particles in the emulsion of proteins.
- Oparin, Alexandr Ivanovich (1894 - 1980). // Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography;2005, p1
Russian biochemist who made important contributions to evolutionary biochemistry, developing one of the first of the modern theories about the origin of life on earth. He received many honors for his work, particularly from the Soviet Union.
- In Retrospect: The Origin of Life. Hyman, Tony; Brangwynne, Cliff // Nature;11/22/2012, Vol. 491 Issue 7425, p524
The article reviews the book "The Origin of Life," by Aleksandr I. Oparin and translated by Sergius Morgulis.
- How Life Began. Ward, Harold // New Republic;12/14/38, Vol. 97 Issue 1254, p181
Reviews two books. "The Origin of Life," by A.I. Oparin and translated by Sergius Morgulis; "Biology and Marxism," by Marcel Prenant and translated by C. Desmond Greaves.
- Origin of Life. MARGULIS, L. // BioScience;5/15/1971, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p489
The article reports on the International Society of the Origin of Life, an organization which centers on the question of how life originated within the realm of experimental science and philosophy. It is implied that the organization inaugurated A. I. Oparin as its new president who partially...
- Aleksandr Oparin. Aliprandini, Michael // Aleksandr Oparin;2006, p1
Background information on Soviet biochemist Aleksandr Oparin is presented. The author reviews how Oparin is sometimes referred to as the Charles Darwin of the twentieth century after putting forth a highly regarded theory to explain the origins of life. Darwin had provided a theory of the...
- 'little bags' theory of evolution Biology. // Dictionary of Theories;2002, p317
A definition of the term "little bags theory of evolution" is presented. It refers to the set of theories, proposing that life evolved from the mixtures of organic chemicals that became trapped in tiny vesicles.
- Alexandr Oparin and the Origin of Life on Earth. Pennazio, Sergio // Biology Forum / Rivista di Biologia;2009, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p95
In the long essay here examined, the Soviet biochemist A. Oparin elaborated and proposed in a coherent and exhaustive way the three main historical phases characterising the origin of life on Earth from an entirely inorganic environment: i) formation of simple organic molecules; ii) appearance...
- Fraud, Fallacy, or Both? Rouillard, Meghan // 21st Century Science & Technology;Spring2013, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p42
The article discusses different approaches of the scientist Alexander Oparin towards the biological and evolutionary processes and compares his arguments regarding the evolution of life with the geochemist's Vladimir Ivanovich Vernadsky. According to Oparin the processes related to evolution of...