Oparin-Haldane hypothesis (20th century) Biology
- phenotype theory (1924) Biology. // Dictionary of Theories;2002, p409
A definition of the term "phenotype theory" is presented. It is a theory in biology proposed by Russian biochemist Aleksandr Ivanovich Oparin. It holds that primitive cells evolved from coagulated particles in the emulsion of proteins.
- In Retrospect: The Origin of Life. Hyman, Tony; Brangwynne, Cliff // Nature;11/22/2012, Vol. 491 Issue 7425, p524
The article reviews the book "The Origin of Life," by Aleksandr I. Oparin and translated by Sergius Morgulis.
- Memoirs of Aleksandr Ivanovich Oparin. Kritsky, M. // Applied Biochemistry & Microbiology;May2005, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p316
Presents memoirs of Aleksandr Ivanovich Oparin, a professor at the Moscow State University. Author's memory of Oparin's lecture on experiments on protein synthesis and the erroneous doctrine of O.B. Lepeshinskaya; Organizer of the International Symposium on the Origin of Life in Moscow;...
- Oparin, Alexandr Ivanovich (1894 - 1980). // Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography;2005, p1
Russian biochemist who made important contributions to evolutionary biochemistry, developing one of the first of the modern theories about the origin of life on earth. He received many honors for his work, particularly from the Soviet Union.
- Origin of Life. MARGULIS, L. // BioScience;5/15/1971, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p489
The article reports on the International Society of the Origin of Life, an organization which centers on the question of how life originated within the realm of experimental science and philosophy. It is implied that the organization inaugurated A. I. Oparin as its new president who partially...
- How Life Began. Ward, Harold // New Republic;12/14/38, Vol. 97 Issue 1254, p181
Reviews two books. "The Origin of Life," by A.I. Oparin and translated by Sergius Morgulis; "Biology and Marxism," by Marcel Prenant and translated by C. Desmond Greaves.
- Alexandr Oparin and the Origin of Life on Earth. Pennazio, Sergio // Biology Forum / Rivista di Biologia;2009, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p95
In the long essay here examined, the Soviet biochemist A. Oparin elaborated and proposed in a coherent and exhaustive way the three main historical phases characterising the origin of life on Earth from an entirely inorganic environment: i) formation of simple organic molecules; ii) appearance...
- The Landscape of the Emergence of Life. Jheeta, Sohan // Life (2075-1729);Jun2016, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p1
The author reflects on the theories pertaining to the origin of life on the earth including the chemical origin hypothesis by biochemist Alexander Oparin and biological scientist J.B.S. Haldane, panspermia theory, and genetic first hypothesis.
- DNA BY DESIGN: AN INFERENCE TO THE BEST EXPLANATION FOR THE ORIGIN OF BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION. Meyer, Stephen C. // Rhetoric & Public Affairs;Winter98, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p519
The article presents a design hypothesis for the origin of the information necessary to make a living system which places the focus, then, on chemical evolution and DNA construction. The Miller-Urey experiment is examined along with the Oparin-Miller hypothesis. A critique of the naturalist...