DECIDED ONES OF JUPITER
- THE ...JOSEPHUS CAp 1.232 (FGRHIST 609 F 10) RECONSIDERED. Dillery, John // Classical Journal;Feb/Mar2004, Vol. 99 Issue 3, p239
Examines a Greek phrase from the Josephus Contra Apionem 1.228-253 written by the pharaoh Amenophis. Uses of the phrase; Instances where the phrase is used by persons either seeking, or in the presence of, the divine; Connection of the word to the worship of the gods.
- blood diamonds. Mason, Mike // Globalization & Development: A Glossary;2005, p15
A definition of the term "blood diamonds" is presented. It refers to the so-called conflict diamonds that are mined in areas under the control of mercenary groups. Such groups are financed by local diamond buyers and sold on the international market. Sierra Leone and Angola are cited as the main...
- The new age of warlords. // Wilson Quarterly;Summer94, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p130
Evaluates the article `The New Warrior Class,' by Ralph Peters in `Parameters,' 1994. Emergence of a `new warrior class'; Examples of warrior class include the terrorists from Somalia to Myanmar; Mercenaries in the former Yugoslavia; Characteristics of warfare with warriors; Capability of the...
- Outsourcing war. Shearer, David // Foreign Policy;Fall98, Issue 112, p68
Debates on the participation of private military companies or mercenaries, in civil wars. Remarks from United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan on mercenaries; Brief history of private military forces; Opposing views on private military companies; Opinion on the regulation of the private...
- Whispers in the shadows. Edwards, Ken // Time International (South Pacific Edition);03/10/97, Issue 10, p43
Looks at the Australian Training Team Viet Nam, a military team of Australian soldiers not widely known. The connection to the Papua New Guinea (PNG) government's use of mercenaries on Bougainville; Comments of Tel Serong, a colonel of the Australian troops; Executive Outcomes Ltd. (EO) of...
- Stop press. // Bulletin with Newsweek;3/25/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6064, p15
Presents a photograph of Papua New Guinea mercenaries in Bougainville. Details of the Papua New Guinea government's plan for the mercenraies and how it backfired.
- Old dogs of war learn new tricks. Sellars, Kirsten // New Statesman;04/25/97, Vol. 126 Issue 4331, p24
Looks at the changes in the operations of international military training and security companies which were formerly identified as mercenaries. Includes Sandline International's work in Papua New Guinea; Executive Outcomes' marketing strategies; Military Professional Resources Inc.'s work in...
- Mercenary in Florence. // History Today;Oct77, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p625
Pays tribute to John Hawkwood who became a mercenary in Florence, Italy. Background information on Hawkwood; Influence of Hawkwood on the writings of Macchiavelli; Contributions of Macchiavelli in the Florentine society.
- Diamond dogs of war. Moody, Roger // New Internationalist;Mar98, Issue 299, p15
Focuses on the use of mercenaries by mining companies to deal with rebellions in the Third World. Reference to Sierra Leone and Angola; Background information on Sullay Kamara and the Organization for Research and Extension of Intermediate Technology; Admiration for the escapades of these men;...