- Advances in Somatic Embryogenesis Research of Horticultural Plants. // American Journal of Plant Sciences;Dec2011, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p727
The article discusses advances in somatic embryogenesis (SE) research of horticultural plants. It is indicated that in SE, the plant somatic cell develops into a new plant with the similar progress of zygotic embryo development. Direct SE is reportedly defined as explants that could directly...
- REGULATION OF SOMATIC EMBRYOGENESIS IN CROPS. Joshi, Rohit; Kumar, Paramod // Agricultural Reviews;Mar2013, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p1
'Somatic embryogenesis' is a process whereby somatic cells differentiate into somatic embryos. It is regulated by several factors, including phytohormones, proteins, transcription factors, and other related substances during different stages of development. Somatic cells are not terminally...
- encapsulation:. Schlegel, Rolf H. J. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of Plant Breeding & Related Subjects;2003, p149
A definition of the term "encapsulation" is presented. It refers to the process of enclosing fragile organic material in a protective casing, sometimes of a semisolid nature; it is used for planting or moving somatic embryos.
- Abscisic acid and stress treatment are essential for the acquisition of embryogenic competence by carrot somatic cells. Kikuchi, Akira; Sanuki, Nobuya; Higashi, Katsumi; Koshiba, Tomokazu; Kamada, Hiroshi // Planta;Apr2006, Vol. 223 Issue 4, p637
Studies of carrot embryogenesis have suggested that abscisic acid (ABA) is involved in somatic embryogenesis. A relationship between endogenous ABA and the induction of somatic embryogenesis was demonstrated using stress-induced system of somatic embryos. The embryonic-specific genes C-ABI3 and...
- torpedo stage:. Schlegel, Rolf H. J. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of Plant Breeding & Related Subjects;2003, p415
A definition of the term "torpedo stage," which refers to a stage of somatic and zygotic embryogenesis, is presented.
- Pilot-scale culture of somatic embryos of Eleutherococcus senticosus in airlift bioreactors for the production of eleutherosides. Shohael, Abdullah; Murthy, Hosakatte; Paek, Kee // Biotechnology Letters;Aug2014, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p1727
Purpose of work: To establish pilot scale bioreactor cultures of somatic embryos of Siberian ginseng for the production of biomass and eleutherosides. Somatic embryos of Eleutherococcus senticosus were cultured in airlift bioreactors using Murashige and Skoog medium with 30 g sucrose l for the...
- Somatic Embryogenesis in Elm. CORREDOIRA, E.; VIEITEZ, A. M.; BALLESTER, A. // Annals of Botany;May2002, Vol. 89 Issue 5, p637
We show that isolated zygotic embryos of Ulmus minor and U. glabra can produce embryogenic cultures provided they are isolated from immature seeds before storage proteins begin to accumulate. Rates of somatic embryogenesis were highest among zygotic embryos collected 6 weeks postâ€anthesis...
- somatic crossing-over:. Schlegel, Rolf H. J. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of Plant Breeding & Related Subjects;2003, p387
A definition of the term "somatic crossing-over" is presented. It refers to the crossing-over during mitosis of somatic cells such that parent cells heterozygous for a given allele, instead of giving rise to two identical heterozygous daughter cells
- Regeneration of soybean ( Glycine max L. Merrill) through direct somatic embryogenesis from the immature embryonic shoot tip. Murugan Loganathan; Subbiyan Maruthasalam; Ling Yin Shiu; Wei Ching Lien; Wen Hwei Hsu; Pei Fang Lee; Chih Wen Yu; Chin Ho Lin // In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology Plant;Jun2010, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p265
We describe here a simple and efficient system of soybean ( Glycine max L. Merrill) regeneration through direct somatic embryogenesis by using immature embryonic shoot tips (IEST) as explants. The cultivar Kaohsiung 10 (cv. K10) used in this study did not show embryogenic response either from...