- Reduced Risk of Plasmodium vivax Malaria in Papua New Guinean Children with Southeast Asian Ovalocytosis in Two Cohorts and a Case-Control Study. Rosanas-Urgell, Anna; Lin, Enmoore; Manning, Laurens; Rarau, Patricia; Laman, Moses; Senn, Nicolas; Grimberg, Brian T.; Tavul, Livingstone; Stanisic, Danielle I.; Robinson, Leanne J.; Aponte, John J.; Dabod, Elijah; Reeder, John C.; Siba, Peter; Zimmerman, Peter A.; Davis, TimothyM. E.; King, Christopher L.; Michon, Pascal; Mueller, Ivo // PLoS Medicine;Sep2012, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p1
Background: The erythrocyte polymorphism, Southeast Asian ovalocytosis (SAO) (which results from a 27-base pair deletion in the erythrocyte band 3 gene, SLC4A1?27) protects against cerebral malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum; however, it is unknown whether this polymorphism also protects...
- Malaria vaccine may reduce infection of P. vivax strain. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Feb2008, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p27
The article discusses research being done on the use of malaria vaccine to reduce infection of Plasmodium vivax. It references a study published in the 2007 issue of "PLoS Medicine." The study included 14 Papua New Guineans who were exposed to Plasmodium vivax. Study researchers concluded that...
- Howell-Jolly bodies. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary;2005, p1013
A definition of the medical term "Howell-Jolly bodies" is presented. Howell-Jolly bodies refers to the spherical granules seen in erythrocytes in red blood cells of persons who are asplenic, and in hemolytic and pernicious anemias. The definition is from the "Taber's Cyclopedic Medical...
- gliosome. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p960
A definition of the term "gliosome," which refers to a cytoplasmic granule of neuroglia, is presented.
- granuloplastic. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p984
A definition of the term "granuloplastic," which refers to developing granules, is presented.
- granulopotent. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p984
A definition of the term "granulopotent," which refers to potentially capable of forming granules, is presented.
- granulosis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p984
A definition of the term "granulosis," which refers to a mass of minute granules, is presented.
- FY polymorphisms and vivax malaria in inhabitants of Amazonas State, Brazil. Albuquerque, S�rgio; Oliveira Cavalcante, Francimary; Sanguino, Edalton; Tezza, Lucianna; Chacon, Fernanda; Castilho, Lilian; Santos, Maria // Parasitology Research;Apr2010, Vol. 106 Issue 5, p1049
Although the importance of glycoprotein Duffy in the human red cells invasion process by Plasmodium vivax merozoites has been demonstrated, little is known about the associations of FY polymorphisms with malaria vivax parasitic density. In this study, we investigated the associations of the SNPs...
- Plasmodium vivax: paroxysm-associated lipids mediate leukocyte aggregation. Karunaweera, Nadira; Wanasekara, Deepani; Chandrasekharan, Vishvanath; Mendis, Kamini; Carter, Richard // Malaria Journal;2007, Vol. 6, p1
Background: Paroxysms are recurrent febrile episodes, characteristic of Plasmodium vivax infections, which coincide with the rupture of schizont-infected erythrocytes in the patients' circulation. The present study describes the formation of prominent aggregates of leukocytes in vitro in the...