New mechanisms to fund global health programs receive rough reception
- World leaders pledge support for the fight against HIV/AIDS. Lewis, Jay // Infectious Disease News;Sep2008, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p32
The article reports on the support showed by various global public health officials, political leaders and dignitaries for the fight against human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), during the XVII International AIDS Conference in 2008. At the opening...
- Now, It's Your Turn to Fight AIDS. Villano, Steve // Multichannel News;8/25/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p33
Information on the 17th International AIDS Conference which was held in Mexico is presented. The conference was attended by 25,000 delegates from around the world who called for a full-scale campaign to reduce the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS. Dr. Peter Piot, head of the Joint United Nations...
- Piot retires from UNAIDS post. // Infectious Disease News;Jan2009, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p18
The article announces the retirement of Peter Piot as executive director of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) program.
- UN picks new leader in the fight against AIDS. Brown, Phyllida // New Scientist;12/17/94, Vol. 144 Issue 1956, p4
Reports on the appointment of microbiologist Peter Piot as the head of the United Nations (UN) program on AIDS. Career history; Concern on funding; Aim of the program.
- PETER PIOT: `MY OBJECTIVE WAS TO POLITICISE AIDS'. Piot, Peter // New African;Jan2003, Issue 414, p34
Presents the speech by Peter Piot, physician and executive director of Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), given at the 14th International Aids conference held in Barcelona, Spain on July 7, 2002. Objectives of UNAIDS; Details of the speech.
- Dr. Peter Piot. Shnayerson, Michael // Vanity Fair;Jul2000, Issue 479, p82
Relates the reasons for the nomination of physician and UNAIDS executive director Peter Piot to the `Vanity Fair' magazine's Hall of Fame awards. Efforts of Piot to slow the spread of AIDS; Safe-sex programs introduced in Africa; Convincing pharmaceutical companies to make available AIDS drugs...
- Africa's deadly visitor. Wallace, Ellen // People;5/29/95, Vol. 43 Issue 21, p69
Interviews epidemiologist Dr. Peter Piot, executive director of the Joint United Nations Program on AIDS in Geneva and an authority on the killer Ebola virus that has killed over 77 people in Kikwit, Zaire. How Piot and colleagues codiscovered the Ebola virus in 1976; How Ebola is transmitted;...
- Peter Piot. Birmingham, Karen // Nature Medicine;Feb2003, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p158
Profiles scientist Peter Piot, executive director of the Joint United National Programme on HIV/AIDS. Research credentials; AIDS vaccine; Motivation to run for director general of the World Health Organization.
- Podcast: 10 questions with Dr. Peter Piot. Vogel, Lauren // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/8/2015, Vol. 187 Issue 12, pE372
An introduction to a podcast interview with Doctor Peter Piot, director of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine in England, about Ebola, AIDS and the importance of physician advocacy is presented.