Vegetarian Journal's: 2010 Essay Contest Winner
- Is a vegetarian diet healthy for kids? Labson, Lucy H. // Patient Care for the Nurse Practitioner;Mar2000, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p61
Explores whether a vegetarian diet can satisfy the nutritional needs of children and teenagers. Why teenagers in the United States adopt a vegetarian lifestyle; Health benefits of vegetarianism; Nutrients which vegetarians must consume to complement their diet.
- Swedish Vegans. Mangels, Reed // Vegetarian Journal;2002, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p21
Highlights results of a study on the diets of vegetarian teenagers in Sweden. Publication of study in the 2002 issue of the 'American Journal of Clinical Nutrition'; Weight comparison between vegetarian males and male non-vegetarians; Calcium intake.
- BEING PART OF THE VEGGIE BUDDIES. Shah, Seema // Vegetarian Journal;2003, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p19
Presents the author's reflections about the challenges of growing up a vegetarian. Prize won by the author in the 2002 essay writing contest of the 'Vegetarian Journal'; Dietary rules imposed by Jainism, the author's religion; Experiences of being the only vegetarian in elementary and middle...
- Vegetarian Kids. Spence, Ted H.; Gallia, Katherine // Natural Health;Apr2000, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p24
Presents opinions from parents on raising vegetarian children. Teaching children that moderation is the key to healthy living; Offer of vegetarian meals to children from an educational standpoint.
- Raising healthy veg kids. Harris, Mark // Vegetarian Times;Jul94, Issue 203, p58
Answers questions on raising vegetarian children. Protein requirement of children in vegetarian diets; Sources of iron; Vitamin B12 deficiency; Vitamin supplementing; Convincing kids to eat vegetables; Phase when children develop their own tastes; Importance of regular exercise.
- Coexisting with teenage vegetarians. // USA Today Magazine;May95, Vol. 123 Issue 2600, p9
Presents tips for families on coping with teenage vegetarians. Adolescent characteristics that lead them to become vegetarians; Impact on the entire family; Approaches.
- How to feed a vegetarian. Shelton, Sandi Kahn // Working Mother;Apr96, p74
Presents information on how to feed children who are vegetarians. Views of Audrey T. Cross, PhD professor of nutrition at the Columbia University Institute of Nutrition; Daily requirements of proteins needed by adolescents.
- Veggie Kids Stand Tough for Animals. // Hinduism Today;Jul-Sep2010, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p7
The article reports on the support for animals by vegetarian children in Canada.
- Your vegetarian child. Danzig, Dani // Mothering;Fall96, Issue 80, p69
Discusses a mother's feelings about her vegetarian child. Decision by 11-year-old son to stop eating any meat, chicken or fish; List of foods that did not include dead animal parts; Nutritionist's advice on how son will get nutrients he needs; Pride in son's willingness to take risks.