- Target grabs No. 2 spot as sales grow 14.1%. // Furniture/Today;8/22/2005, Vol. 29 Issue 49, p22
This article reports that as a group, three of the top 5 U.S. discount department stores had increases in their furniture and bedding businesses, while the other two had revenue declines. With Wal-Mart Stores Inc. strengthening its grip on first place, Minneapolis-based Target swapped places...
- Changing Retail Market: Vendors Eye Discounters To Bolster Bottom Line. Clark, Evan // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;3/16/2005, Vol. 189 Issue 55, p1
Reports on the plan of several fashion retailers to supply discount chains with their products to further enhance the growth of their business in the U.S. Impact of the low-cost offering of the chains on retailers; Views on the plan of the fashion retailers; Availability of the Levi Strauss...
- Wal-Mart Goes Shopping in Europe. Kahn, Jeremy // Fortune;6/7/1999, Vol. 139 Issue 11, p105
Discusses United States discount retailer Wal-Mart's entry into the German market. Acquisition of Wertkauf and Spar Handels stores; Details of the company's international presence and expansion plans; German retail trade difficulties; Reasons for starting European expansion in Germany; Outlook...
- Wal-Mart, Target lead Top 5 discounters. Sloan, Carole // Furniture/Today;8/25/2008, Vol. 32 Issue 50, p20
The article reports that Wal-Mart Inc. has been the top discount department store for furniture and beddings in the U.S. It had sales of $2.2 billion in 2007 which is higher by 6.3% from its 2006 sales of $2.08 billion. It is noted that Wal-Mart Inc. ranked second among the top 25 retailer...
- HOW TARGET DOES IT. Schlosser, Julie // Fortune;10/18/2004, Vol. 150 Issue 8, p100
This article profiles the Target discount stores. If it wasn't for Wal-Mart, Target would be the model for discount retail. Budding retailers would dissect the Target way, its in-your-face marketing, its constant store makeovers, its surprisingly deep connection with customers. Target's size and...
- Young and trendy make jewelry, watch sales sparkle. // Discount Store News;8/9/99, Vol. 38 Issue 15, p85
Looks at the productivity of discount retailers in the jewelry market category in the United States in 1998. Factors that influenced the jewelry market; Moves made by Wal-Mart and Ames.
- Top 5 discount department stores. // Furniture/Today;12/29/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 17, p61
Ranks the top five discount department stores in the United States according to estimated furniture and bedding sales in 2002. Comparison with 2001 figures; Top position taken by Wal-Mart; Total number of units.
- Wal-Mart quarter profit gains 17.5%; Dillard's net stays flat. Curan, Catherine; Ryan, Thomas J. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;2/25/1998, Vol. 175 Issue 36, p2
Compares the gains of discounters and department stores. Earnings gained by Wal-Mart during the fourth quarter of 1997; Reason for expectations of further growth of Wal-Mart; Analysis of the reasons for the reported flatness of Dillard's earnings.
- Company Overview. // Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. SWOT Analysis;Jun2007, p4
An overview of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest retail chain in the world operating retail stores in various formats, is presented. Data is included on revenues generated in the fiscal year ended January 2007, the number of employees, as well as principal business offered, including retail...