Four engines are better than two
- Dockwise sets 30,000 tonne record. // International Cranes & Specialized Transport;Jan2013, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p10
The article reports that Dockwise, a heavy lift shipping company, sets a record for the installation of Block A-1 SHP Topside which weighs 30,000 tonnes in SHWE field in the Bay of Bengal, Myanmar on December 8, 2012.
- You Really CAN Reduce Fixed Public Safety Costs. Bryan, Peter // Fire Engineering;Aug2012, Vol. 165 Issue 8, p103
The article discusses the reduction of fixed public safety costs. Topics discussed include the reduction of fire station operating expenses, the reduction of fire apparatus maintenance costs, and the reduction of costs associated with general liability, property, vehicle, and employment...
- Conveyor change for climate change. // Mining & Quarry World;Mar2009, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p16
The article discusses the need for the mining industry to give greater consideration to the use of conveyor systems. Consideration should be considered since the conveyors' underground and in open pits reduce operating costs and reduce mines' carbon footprints. The coarse ore conveyor system at...
- Seven Oceans Delivers On Blind Faith. // Sea Technology;Jan2008, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p58
The article reports that Seven Oceans, a deep-water rigid pipelay vessel from the subsea engineering and construction company Subsea 7, has completed its installation project for the Chevron Blind Faith offshore pipelay development in the Gulf of Mexico. The Seven Oceans has been built and...
- Outdrive Upkeep. // MotorBoating;Jun2010, Vol. 203 Issue 6, p61
The article offers information on stern-drive maintenance of boats and yachts. The stern-drives provide more speed from less fuel than inboards. It suggests that one should not neglect the stern-drive oil reservoir and prefer a low or contaminated gear lubricant while checking engines before a...
- POWER & PROPULSION. THIEL, RICHARD // Power & Motoryacht;Jun2014, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p30
In this article, the author offers suggestions to keep boats' engines in good condition to increase its speed. The author mentions propellers which should be in good condition to increase boats' speed. The author also mentions that hull coating and fuel additives are not enough to improve...
- Determination of Human Error Probabilities for the Maintenance Operations of Marine Engines. Islam, Rabiul; Abbassi, Rouzbeh; Garaniya, Vikram; Khan, Faisal I. // Journal of Ship Production & Design;Nov2016, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p226
Human error is a crucial factor in the shipping industry and not to mention numerous human errors occur during the maintenance procedures of marine engines. Determination of human error probabilities (HEPs) is important to reduce the human errors and prevent the accidents. Nevertheless,...
- Vessel Operating Costs to Rise. // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);11/7/2011, Vol. 12 Issue 41, p8
The article discusses a survey conducted by British accounting and shipping consultant, Moore Stephens which found that U.S.-based carriers will lose more than their international competitors when the operating costs of ships increase in 2012.
- Engine Rebuilding Tips. Grady, Mike // Aftermarket Business;Sep2001, Vol. 111 Issue 9, p39
Presents tips for rebuilding automobile engines. Proper torquing; Cleaning of cylinder walls; Dirt removal in engines; Alignment of oil supply hole.