Variable pay is superior to bonus
- Bashful bashing. Eaton, George // New Statesman;2/7/2011, Vol. 140 Issue 5039, p10
The article reports on bonuses paid to British bankers in 2011 even as the financial institutions received government-supplied bailout money and includes information on remuneration paid by the Royal Bank of Scotland, an end to the scapegoating of banks called for by British prime minister David...
- Central Bank Governor Tries To Shame Bankers On Pay. Platt, Gordon // Global Finance;Nov2009, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p8
The article reports on the move of governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King as he tried to put bankers to shame for their lavish bonuses in Great Britain. It states that King, after being blamed for crisis in the banking sector of the country, showed his courage in October 2009 when he...
- Swiss bonus rules 'won't sway UK.'. // People Management;1/27/2011, p11
The article reports on the implications of the new bonus rules introduced by Swiss bank Credit Suisse for British banks.
- Dear Hamish... Banyard, Peter // Credit Management;Jun2010, p26
The article presents the author's comments on the move of a bank where he worked for several years to limit his bonus to six figures in Great Britain. He discusses the transparency in the banking industry and the manageability of balance sheets. He suggests that hedge funds should be monitored...
- Another illogical bout of bonus envy. Mounty, Peter // Mortgage Strategy;8/10/2009, p14
The article reports on the author's perspectives on the awarding of small number of senior or talented people instead of those who really contribute much to increased profits of banks in Great Britain. The author claims that to average wage earners these bonuses seem excessive and...
- MPs miss the point but boost their egos. Montlake, Andrew // Mortgage Strategy;2/16/2009, p22
The author reflects on the irony of four most powerful men, the Ministers of the Parliament, in the banking industry in Great Britain. He prefers to see a debate in front of a specially invited audience of ordinary punters who may have asked more perspective questions rather than recurring to...
- 'Lend or lose your bonuses'. // Money Marketing;10/7/2010, p5
The article reports on the statement made by Great Britain Chancellor George Osborne regarding bank bonuses, in which he states that they are not going to allow money to flow unobstructed into large bonuses if it means money is not also flowing out in credit to the small businesses.
- Don't pander to reader prejudice. MILES, NICK // PRWeek (London);7/31/2009, p9
The article comments on prejudices of newspaper readers in Great Britain. The author is questioning what should be the relationship between newspapers and its readers. The author asserted that mass media should be focused on issued such as bonuses of bankers. He also talked about exposes by the...
- LEARNING CURVE: BONUSES. Sterm, Stefan // Management Today;Mar2013, Issue 3, p22
The article considers the bonus system in Great Britain's banking industry, attributing the rise of the system to the increased role of investment banking and forecasting that it will remain in place.