Glomerular filtration rate and initiation of dialysis
- A study of glomerular filtration rate estimation by cockcroft-gault, mdrd and ckd-epi formula in comparison with dtpa renal scan - a comparative study among live related kidney donors in south india. selvan, K. Senthamizh; Karthikeyan, S.; Sundaramurthy, G. // International Journal of Biological & Medical Research;2013, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p3073
BACKGROUND: Renal function assessment is the most important part of donor evaluation. The Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) is considered to be optimal test for overall assessment of renal function. We aimed to estimate GFR by prediction equations namely COCKCROFT-GAULT, MDRD and CKD-EPI, among...
- Reduced estimated glomerular filtration rate associated with acute MI. // Cardiology Today;Nov2011, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p26
The article discusses research on the link between estimated glomerular filtration rate and the likelihood of developing acute mayocardial infarction (MI), by A. Go and colleagues, published in the "Journal of the American College of Cardiology."
- In this Issue. // Kidney International;Dec2012, Vol. 82 Issue 12, p1241
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the role of vitamin A in the prevention of calcification among mice, the relationship of estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) and mortality, and the responsiveness of...
- Dietary Fiber, Renal Function Linked. // Renal & Urology News;Nov2014, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p15
The article presents research indicating the association of high fiber intake with decreased inflammation and increased estimated glomerular filtration rate.
- Quality indicators for inflammatory bowel disease: development of process and outcome measures. Balzola, Federico; Cullen, Garret; Hoentjen, Frank; Ho, Gwo-Tzer; Russell, Richard // Inflammatory Bowel Disease Monitor;2013, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p169
The article discusses the development of "Improve Care Now" network for adults with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in North America. It highlights several medical outcomes measure patients with steroid-free remission including quality of life, malnutrition and anemia. It also details the...
- A Comparison of Methods for Estimating Glomerular Filtration Rate for a Population in Hawai'i with Non-Valvular Atrial Fibrillation. Lum, Corey J.; Azuma, Steven // Hawaii Journal of Medicine & Public Health;Sep2013 Supplement 4, Vol. 72 Issue 9, p27
Warfarin is the primary treatment for those with atrial ibrillation at increased risk for stroke. The Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy (RELY) trial demonstrated that dabigatran, a direct thrombin inhibitor, was associated with lower rates of systemic embolism compared...
- Population screening for chronic kidney disease. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;11/13/2010, Vol. 341 Issue 7781, p1032
An introduction to a research study on the cost effectiveness of chronic kidney disease (CKD) screening using estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR), published within the issue, is presented.
- Does a standardization of GFR estimation increase the accuracy of cardiovascular risk assessment? Westhoff, T.; Zidek, W. // Journal of Human Hypertension;Aug2011, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p467
The article focuses on the study conducted by Liu and colleagues which examines the linked of regular vs. standardized estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) with hypertension. It states that the MDRD equation derived in 1999 using non-standardized creatinine was used to calculate...
- Association between estimated glomerular filtration rate at initiation of dialysis and mortality. Clark, William F.; Yingbo Na; Rosansky, Steven J.; Sontrop, Jessica M.; Macnab, Jennifer J.; Glassock, Richard J.; Eggers, Paul W.; Jackson, Kirby; Moist, Louise // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;1/11/2011, Vol. 183 Issue 1, p47
Background: Recent studies have reported a trend toward earlier initiation of dialysis (i.e., at higher levels of glomerular filtration rate) and an association between early initiation and increased risk of death. We examined trends in initiation of hemodialysis within Canada and compared the...