- WORLD BRIEFS. // Telegraph (Calcutta, India);11/23/2015, p2
The article reports that almost 100 bodies have been recovered from a landslide in Kachin, Myanmar and China said on November 22, 2015 that the U.S. was making political provocations with its naval forays in the disputed South China Sea.
- As Coal King Retires to $12 Million, Mine Safety Struggle Goes On. Wang, Marian // Pro Publica;1/ 2/2011, p11
A blog related to inquiry into Massey Energy Co.'s mine explosion in West Virginia in April 2011 is discussed.
- Third death in as many years at Asarco mine. // Inside Tucson Business;6/28/2010, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p4
The article reports the death of a mine worker named Thomas Benavidez due to an accident involving the truck he was riding and a mine haul truck at the Ray Mine in Arizona.
- Lasting Legacy of UBB Should Be Safer Mines. // State Journal (WV);5/27/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 21, p28
In this article, the author discusses the investigation of the explosion at the Upper Big Branch (UBB) mine due to inadequate safety procedures by Massey Energy Co. in Raleigh County, West Virginia.
- Nine miners rescued from collapsed copper mine in Peru. // Mining Engineering;May2012, Vol. 64 Issue 5, p13
The article reports on the rescue of nine miners following the collapse of the Cabeza de Negro Mine in Peru on April 11, 2012.
- Pasminco settles coverage dispute. Tomlinson, Damien; Tilley, Kate // Business Insurance;08/21/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 34, p15
Reports on Australian mining company Pasminco Ltd.'s entry into an out-of-court settlement of a coverage dispute over its claim for losses incurred in the 1996 partial collapse of a mine for 14.6 million dollars. Details of a class-action lawsuit filed against the firm by individuals who say...
- Facts Are Needed To Heal UBB Pain. // State Journal (WV);4/8/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 14, p20
In this article the author comments on the explosion of the Upper Big Branch mine that killed 29 people in Upper Big Branch in Raleigh County in West Virginia.
- A new era, lost in the landslide. Gardner, Nicky // New Statesman;8/3/2009, Vol. 138 Issue 4960, p16
The article reports on landslides resulting from open pit lignite mines in eastern Germany. The article was written following a significant collapse in the mining village of Nacherstedt in 2009. Among other issues the article reports on plans to turn the sinkholes into lakes and the promotion of...
- Lonmin fatality at Merensky site. // African Business News;4/29/2013, p21
The article reports on an incident at the project of mining company Lonmin in Merensky, South Africa that caused the death of its employee in 2013.