Herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia
- Herpes zoster vaccine is safe and effective for older adults. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/17/2005, Vol. 331 Issue 7517, preceding p585
Reviews a study of the effectiveness of a herpes zoster vaccine for older adults. Question of whether or not a vaccine can prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia; Symptoms related to each condition; Review of data related to a study of the vaccine; Results that the herpes zoster...
- Pain Relief. MISIER, A.M. // Natural Solutions;Sep2012, Issue 146, p8
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article related to natural techniques used to combat disease by Mark Hyman in the previous issue, and also presents the response from editor.
- Treatment of shingles and post-herpetic neuralgia. Jolleys, Jacqueline V. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);6/10/89, Vol. 298 Issue 6687, p1537
Examines the treatment of acute herpes zoster and post-herpetic neuralgia. Efficacy of topical idoxuridine; Use of corticosteroids; Therapeutic role of baclofen to control pain.
- Acyclovir ester offers comparable results as shingles tx. Moyer, Paula // Dermatology Times;Jan1996, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p23
Reports on the usage of valacyclovir as compared to acyclovir in treating postherpetic neuralgia. Acyclovir's safety and tolerance; Comments from Dr. Karl R. Beutner, MD. PhD., associate clinical professor of dermatology, University of California, San Francisco; Comparison study between...
- New lidocaine patch targets painful shingles complication. Portyansky, Elena // Drug Topics;4/19/99, Vol. 143 Issue 8, p33
Describes the development of Lidoderm patch for post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), a resulting complication of shingles. Idea developed by Harry Hind to bring relief to his wife's debilitating cases of PHN; Application of a topical lidocaine solution to the affected area; Effectiveness in relieving...
- FAMCICLOVIR FOR THE TREATMENT OF HERPES ZOSTER. Gordon, Andrea // Journal of Family Practice;Apr1996, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p350
The article presents a study that examined the effectiveness of famciclovir for the treatment of herpes zoster and the prevention of postherpetic neuralgia. Herpes zoster causes rash, dysesthesias and pain, which could lead to postherpetic neuralgia. The study included immunocompetent patients...
- Famciclovir for the treatment of acute herpes zoster: Effects on acute disease and postherpetic... Tyring, Stephen; Barbarash, Rick A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;7/15/95, Vol. 123 Issue 2, p89
Documents the effects of treatment with famciclovir on the acute signs and symptoms of herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia. Utilization of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial; Safety of famciclovir; Recommendation of famciclovir.
- The hidden catch. MacKenzie, Debora // New Scientist;5/4/2002, Vol. 174 Issue 2341, p7
Reports on the ways of stopping the spread of chickenpox. Importance of vaccination; Problems on the development of shingles in adult life; Details on the costs and benefits of vaccination.
- Feedback. Harrison, George // Continuing Education in Anaesthesia, Critical Care & Pain;Jun2011, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p108
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Paravertebral Block," by S. Q. M. Tighe, M. D. Greene, and N. Rajadurai in a 2010 issue.