NUCLEAR ENERGY: PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
- New Products. // Nuclear Plant Journal;Jul/Aug2012, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p16
The article offers brief information on the nuclear-based products including the containment vent from GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy, the High Performance Light Emitting Diode (LED) Light for Nuclear Pools from Remote Ocean Systems Inc., and the Multi-D technology for engineering nuclear power...
- Environmental degradation destroying Pakistan. Janjua, Haroon Mustafa // Energy Update;Apr2014, Vol. 5 Issue 81/82, p1
The article looks at the need of policies for building institutional framework and capacity to mitigate negative impacts of nuclear power plants in Pakistan as of April 2014. Topics discussed include environmental concerns related to production of nuclear energy, role of economic development and...
- Testing of five 30-year-old prestressed concrete beams. Lundqvist, Peter; Riihimäki, Juha // PCI Journal;Fall2010, p50
The article discusses the testing of five 30-yaer-old concrete beams at a nuclear power plant in Olkiluoto, Finland, and mentions that the testing was coordinated to prevent nuclear accident due to a loss of coolant accident (LOCA). It mentions that the testing procedure focuses on...
- Nuclear Power Plant Safety Upgrades for Extended Continued Operation. DONNELLY, SEAN // Power Engineering;Nov2016, p126
The article discusses upgradation of nuclear power plants in the world. Topics discussed include changes in regulatory rules by providing licence renewal considering safety goals of plants, modification of power plants by providing portable equipment that mitigate basic accidents, and...
- Valve/actuator system boosts bwr performance. // Modern Power Systems;Apr95, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p95
Reports on the introduction of a motor-operated valve and actuator system for nuclear power stations manufactured by GE Nuclear Energy. Benefits; Focus on valve safety related issues; Product features; Application mechanics.
- The Nuclear Industry Must Rein in Its Homer Simpsons. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/18/99, Vol. 243 Issue 16, p100
Editorial. Comments on issues that emerged from the occurrences of accidents in nuclear power plants around the world. Benefits of the nuclear energy; Perception of the public on the accidents; Recommendation to the custodians of the nuclear technology.
- 2011—2012 world nuclear industry status report. Schneider, Mycle; Froggatt, Antony // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Sep2012, Vol. 68 Issue 5, p8
The market niche that nuclear power once held is disappearing. The key nuclear indicatorsâ€”including the number of operating reactors, installed capacity, power generation, and share of total electricity generationâ€”all show that the global nuclear industry is in decline. In 2012,...
- Nuclear Havoc. Goldsmith, Zac // Ecologist;Dec99, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p434
Editorial. Discusses problems associated with nuclear energy. Nuclear plant disaster in Japan; Discovery of a secret nuclear plant in Derby, Great Britain; Emergencies suffered by Aldermaston, manufacturer of British nuclear warheads.
- Refurbishment Programs. Irish, Craig S. // Nuclear Plant Journal;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p37
The article discusses "Refurbishment Program" as a systematic refurbishment of families of equipment within the nuclear power plant. The program would be performed on a proactive basis prior to the equipment failing. It consists of the replacement for all age sensitive components within the...