Politicizing School Food
- A Revolution In School Lunches. McGray, Douglas // Time;4/26/2010, Vol. 175 Issue 16, p50
The article discusses public-school lunches in the U.S. and the for-profit company Revolution Foods (RF) that sells nutritionally-beneficial breakfasts and lunches. RF foods are sold mainly to schools in low-income communities where meals are subsidized by the federal government. RF executive...
- GOODLING SEEKS $500M IN FUNDING: Congress mulls move to restore school lunch cuts. // FoodService Director;04/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p26
Reports that the United States House is considering a legislation supported by school food service professionals that would restore federal funding cut from the National School Lunch Program in 1999. Allocation of the funding cut; Status of the cost of school lunches provided by the government.
- News digests. // Nation's Restaurant News;10/25/99, Vol. 33 Issue 43, p21
Reports developments in the school food service industry as of October 1999. Introduction of The Express at Schultz and the services offered at the Virginia Tech University in Canada; Similarity between American and Canadian school children in terms of dependence on school meal programs;...
- Making NSLP do the job: How AR schools work it out. // FoodService Director;2/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p6
Reports on the strategies used by member schools at the Pulaski County Special District, Little Rock, Arkansas, in providing popular food items that will meet the reimbursable meal criteria of the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Working promotions on concepts by fast food chains; Reasons...
- Food, Glorious Food. Pricola, Jennifer // Teacher Magazine;Aug/Sep2001, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p14
Presents information on several fruit-enriched dishes which the United States National School Lunch Program is planning to require in school cafeterias. Sweet Potato Pancakes; Almond Date Bar; Cranberry Barbecue Sauce; Cherry Hamburger.
- Building on the pyramid. Pearl, Anita // FoodService Director;3/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p152
Reports on the introduction of vegetarian options in nutrition programs in schools in the United States. Nutrition-oriented nature of the School Lunch Program; Launching of the Agriculture Department's `Team Nutrition Schools Program'; Henderson County food service director Pamela Tamer's use...
- Las Vegas dist. tests feeding formats. // FoodService Director;01/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p16
Presents information on Clark County's testing of feeding formats in relation to school meals. Detailed information on the testing; Reasons for the testing; Comments from Dan McPartlin, food services.
- Another Nutty Rant by Another Texas Goober. HIGHTOWER, JIM // Progressive Populist;11/1/2014, Vol. 20 Issue 19, p3
The article reports on the criticisms of Texas agricultural commissioner Todd Staples for his school cafeteria initiative, called Meatless Mondays.
- SCHOOL FOODSERVICE: Congress urged to cut red tape for summer programs. // FoodService Director;8/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p16
Reports on a legislation sponsored by U.S. Senator Richard Lugar which encourage schools to keep their cafeterias open throughout the summer to participate in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Summer Food Service Program. Percentage of needy children who receive free meals under the National...