Live Sports Still Playing Ball
- Some like it local. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;06/11/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 25, p28
Reports the impact of regional sports broadcasting on national television viewership ratings in the United States. Decline in ESPN's and FX's ratings; Explanation of regional sports networks for the declining ratings; Use of national programming by Fox Sports Net affiliates.
- Fox Sports 1 Goes Wide With 90M-Home Rollout. REYNOLDS, MIKE // Multichannel News;8/19/2013, Vol. 34 Issue 31, p2
The article discusses the growth of American sports oriented cable television channel Fox Sports 1 in the U.S. as it reports its 90 million subscribers after its launch on August 17, 2013.
- Where'd all the sports go? Mariotti, Jay // Sporting News;04/30/2001, Vol. 255 Issue 18, p7
Focuses on the lack of interest among Americans in watching sports events on television. Reasons underlying the attitude; Areas affected by the ratings drop; Inundation of viewers with sex and rock and roll; Importance of treating sports with more intelligence and less frivolity.
- Fox, NBC competing for male sports viewers. Lafayette, Jon // Electronic Media;8/19/96, Vol. 15 Issue 34, p31
Reports on Media Nielsen Research results showing male viewership of sports television programs in the United States. Fox and NBC's competition for male sports programs.
- Husky wrestlers vs. Huskies hoopsters. // Variety;04/05/99, Vol. 374 Issue 7, p47
Reports on the ratings of the National Collegiate Athletics Association Basketball Tournament finals between the University of Connecticut and Duke University and USA Networks' professional wrestling among male television viewers in the United States.
- TV could strike it rich. Quindt, Fritz // Sporting News;7/29/2002, Vol. 226 Issue 30, p8
Comments on the television broadcasting of professional baseball games in the U.S. Growth of the television audience for baseball games; Benefits of television broadcasting to baseball clubs; Insertion of no-play, no-pay clauses in contracts between television broadcasters and clubs.
- Quick score for football. Bierbaum, Tom // Variety;09/27/99, Vol. 376 Issue 6, p58
Presents information on television broadcasting of football in the United States. Viewership among females and children; Increase in viewership share of television networks; Ratings for college football; Factors which could affect viewership.
- World Cup ratings a kick. Burgi, Michael // MediaWeek;6/27/94, Vol. 4 Issue 26, p7
Reports on the high television viewership ratings of the World Cup Soccer Tournament held in the United States in June 1994. Ratings of the United States' games with Colombia and Switzerland; Ratings as a reflection of Americans' great interest in watching soccer games; Univision's ratings...
- Gone Fishin' (for Subs). // Multichannel News;10/24/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 40, p31
The author discusses aspects of the challenges of running an outdoor network in the U.S. He states that the search for advertising dollars and subscribers were not easy particularly for an independent network in the outdoor category. He notes that single-sport networks struggle to get carriage...