Medical profiteering: the economics of methadone dispensation
- Stigma. A. I. C. // British Columbia Medical Journal;Dec2014, Vol. 56 Issue 10, p473
The author presents his views on methadone therapy. Topics discussed include a Cochrane review of methadone in 2009 which clearly elucidated the benefits of methadone in decreasing the risk of contracting human immunodefficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B and C, and overdose death, the reluctance...
- Call to open up oral methadone access. Leason, Katie // Community Care;3/20/2003, Issue 1464, p11
Reports that oral methadone should be accessible throughout Great Britain. Reason for need of the drug accessibility in the country; Benefits of the drug for its users; Need for the consideration of methadone service providers regarding the range of support demanded by their clients.
- Cost-effectiveness of Methadone Maintenance Treatment in Prevention of HIV Among Drug Users in Shiraz, South of Iran. Keshtkaran, Ali; Mirahmadizadeh, Alireza; Heidari, Alireza; Javanbakht, Mehdi // Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal;Jan2014, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p1
Background: The increase in high-risk injections and unsafe sexual behaviors has led to increased HIV infection prevalence among Intravenous Drug Users (IDUs). The high costs of HIV/AIDS care and low financial resources necessitate an economic evaluation to make the best decision for the control...
- Medicine and the art of methadone maintenance. Mark, Patricia H. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;12/14/99, Vol. 161 Issue 12, p1505
Offers the author's experience working with the methadone program, designed to help heroin addicts. Description of methadone program; Results of heroin use; Prescription of methadone to patients serious about stopping heroin; How the program has reduced harm in society.
- Awareness of the need for safe storage of Methadone at home is not improved by the use of protocols on recording information giving. Mullin, Annemarie; McAuley, Rosanna J.; Watts, Derrett J.; Crome, Ilana B.; Bloor, Roger N. // Harm Reduction Journal;2008, Vol. 5, Special section p1
Background: Methadone is a synthetic, narcotic analgesic used in the treatment of drug misuse. Tragedies involving children being poisoned by the accidental ingestion of methadone are no longer a rare occurrence. Following an audit of the effectiveness of the provision and recall of information...
- Una evaluaciÃ³n de necesidades, procesos y satisfacciÃ³n de drogodependientes con y sin problemÃ¡tica judicial tratados en comunidades terapÃ©uticas. Fernández Gómez, Cesáreo // Adicciones;2005, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p301
The objective is to compare drug-dependent patients undergoing treatment in therapeutic communities who have and do not have legal problems. The subjects were 107 patients being treated in 9 therapeutic communities and day centres, and they were assessed using structured interviews,...
- Call for new GP guidelines on methadone. // Pulse;1/29/2005, Vol. 65 Issue 4, p6
Presents a study indicating the efficacy of physician provision of methadone in keeping drug misusers in treatment and reducing illicit opiate use in Great Britain. Warning over the prevalent underdosing of the drug; Evaluation of the effects of different drug doses.
- An official licence to kill. Dalrymple, Theodore // New Statesman;3/3/2003, Vol. 132 Issue 4627, p30
Discusses the need for social reform in Great Britain in response to heroin abuse. Support for prescriptions for methadone to heroin addicts; Dangers associated with methadone, including the amount needed for overdose; Statistics related to methadone-induced deaths; Means by which it should be...
- BRIEF REPORT: Methadone Treatment of Injecting Opioid Users for Prevention of HIV Infection. Gowing, Linda R.; Farrell, Michael; Bornemann, Reinhard; Sullivan, Lynn E.; Ali, Robert L. // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Feb2006, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p193
OBJECTIVE: To assess the effects of oral substitution treatment for opioid-dependent injecting drug users on HIV risk behaviors and infections. DATA SOURCES: Multiple electronic databases were searched. Reference lists of retrieved articles were checked. METHODS: Because of varying methodologies...