THE MODERN SOLUTION TO POLLUTION IS DILUTION
- Mercury, Food Webs, and Marine Mammals: Implications of Diet and Climate Change for Human Health. Booth, Shawn; Zeller, Dirk // Environmental Health Perspectives;May2005, Vol. 113 Issue 5, p521
We modeled the flow of methyl mercury, a toxic global pollutant, in the Faroe Islands marine ecosystem and compared average human methyl mercury exposure from consumption of pilot whale meat and fish (cod, Gadus morhua) with current tolerable weekly intake (TWI) levels. Under present conditions...
- Waste policy statement published. Early, Catherine // Planning (14672073);6/14/2013, Issue 1961, p7
The article offers information on the national policy statement (NPS) published by the British government to guide decisions on major hazardous waste projects including plants for oil generation, electronic waste and treatment of contaminated soil.
- WHERE THERE'S A WILLâ€¦. // Ecologist;Jun2008, Vol. 38 Issue 5, p10
The article discusses contaminants and pollutants that travel up the food chain in unexpected ways despite human prevention efforts. An overview is given of a paper published by researchers at the College of William and Mary in Virginia concerning the presence of mercury river pollution in birds...
- Time Course Transformations and Fate of Mercury in Aquatic Model Ecosystems. Tessier, Emmanuel; Rodriguez Martin-Doimeadios, Rosa; Amouroux, David; Morin, Anne; Lehnhoff, Christian; Thybaud, Eric; Vindimian, Eric; Donard, Olivier // Water, Air & Soil Pollution;Jul2007, Vol. 183 Issue 1-4, p265
Model aquatic ecosystems have been used to study the natural mechanisms involved in the distribution and transformation of inorganic mercury (IHg) in the different compartments and its interactions with the biota. Laboratory incubations in indoor freshwater microcosms, presenting a simple...
- Angara poisoned. // Russian Life;Feb/Mar99, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p8
Reports that the Greenpeace environmental group has labeled an 18-mile stretch of land in Russia's Irkutsk reservoir an environmental disaster due to mercury leaks from a closed chemical factory in the area. Pollution of the Angara river.
- Mercurialism: Environmental and Occupational Aspects. Joselow, Morris M.; Louria, Donald B.; Browder, Ann A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jan72, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p119
Focuses on the recognition of mercury as an environmental pollutant. Sources of mercurial contamination; Effects of occupational exposure to mercury; Environmental concentrations of mercury.
- Roberts Automatic Products To Pay MPCA Civil Penalty. // Hazardous Waste/Superfund Alert;9/20/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 17, p2
The article reports on the 8920-dollar Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) civil penalty and 279,000-dollar environmental project which were enforced on Roberts Automatic Products Inc. to settle its assumed hazardous waste violations. It says that MPCA found out the company did not...
- New power plant emissions data add new woes. Rifkin, Melissa // Westchester County Business Journal;08/23/99, Vol. 38 Issue 34, p17
Reports on warnings from New York State officials on the mercury contamination of Catskill Mountains water reservoirs. Contamination of fish with mercury; Physiological effects of mercury on animals.
- Zero tolerance. // Materials Management in Health Care;Mar99, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p16
Discusses the basics for the development and implementation of a program for reducing the potential for mercury pollution. Getting started; Program elements; Best practices.