Ten-Strike for U.S. Big Labor
- Bringing Back Workers' Right To Secret Ballot. RICHARD BERMAN // Investors Business Daily;11/15/2013, pA15
Can a labor union extort a business into prohibiting its employees from exercising their democratic right to a secret-ballot election?
- Voice Asymmetries in ERISA Litigation. LANGBERT, MITCHELL // Journal of Labor Research;Fall95, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p455
ER1SA 's equitable remedies limit employees ' access to the courts. The law fails to protect workers with short tenure and low wages, for example female workers, because trial costs often exceed damages. In single-employer plans, unions improve access, but in multiemployer plans they do not. The...
- Is a Union Fight in Your Future? THILL, GARY // Remodeling;Nov-Dec2015, p29
The article presents the details and impacts a new ruling which makes it easier for subcontractors to collectively bargain and unionize by National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) following the waste management company Browning-Ferris case where staffing agency was declared a joint employer.
- RIGHT TO WORK AND THE COLORADO LABOR PEACE ACT: HOW POLITICS TRUMPED POLICY. Hogler, Raymond L. // Labor Law Journal;Summer2007, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p85
The article discusses a labor law in the U.S. state of Colorado. The bill is a modification of Colorado's Labor Peace Act and is being opposed by management groups. The bill calls for eliminating an existing law which requires unions to successfully win a state secret ballot election after...
- Voting Representation of Local Unions at National Conventions. Skopic, Charles E. // Monthly Labor Review;Dec65, Vol. 88 Issue 12, p1423
Examines the pattern of local trade-union delegate and voting representation at national trade-union conventions in the U.S. National unions' methods of apportioning convention delegates among affiliated locals; Categories of unions that base delegate representation on local's membership size;...
- COPE Endorsements for April 3 elections. // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;3/15/2012, Vol. 75 Issue 33, p4
The article lists several members of labor unions in the U.S. including North County Labor Club, Tri-County Labor Club and Warren County Labor Club, endorsed by organization Committee on Political Education for the elections to be scheduled on April 3, 2012.
- Labor Department Refuses To Certify D.C. Union Election. // Education Week;5/4/1983, Vol. 2 Issue 32, p3
The article reports on the new order of election requested by the U.S. Department of Labor for the Washington D.C. teachers' union. The March 1983 election was proclaimed void by Federal District Judge Aubrey Robinson Jr. due to some irregularities the department's investigators found in the...
- Card check measure is bad news for N.H. BOUCHER, TOM // New Hampshire Business Review;10/24/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 23, p25
The author reflects on the significance of the Employee Free Choice Act to the employees in the U.S. The author argues that the employee's measure will change the U.S. labor law. He claims that employees are entitled to a private-ballot election when deciding whether they want union...
- Significant Decisions in Labor Cases . // Monthly Labor Review;Sep67, Vol. 90 Issue 9, p63
Highlights the decisions in various labor cases in the U.S. as of September 1967. 1966 amendments to the Fair Labor Standards Act; Employer polling of employees' union sentiments; Exhaustion of union remedies; Unions' internal affairs.