Churchill, Margaret Elizabeth
- Anscombian and Cartesian skepticism. Hamilton, A.; Hamilton, Andy // Philosophical Quarterly;Jan91, Vol. 41 Issue 162, p39
Examines the particular justification for the `no-reference' view which Elizabeth Anscombe finds in the consequences of Sensory Deprivation. The argument from sensory deprivation; The `real presence' version; The skeptical argument; The definitive argument; Responses to the argument; Sensory...
- â€˜Byâ€™. Schnieder, Benjamin // Linguistics & Philosophy;Dec2008, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p649
The paper has two main objectives: first, it presents a new argument against the so-called Anscombe Thesis (if x Â¿-s by Â¿-ing, then xÂ¿s Â¿-ing = xÂ¿s Â¿-ing). Second, it develops a proposal about the syntax and semantics of the Â¿byÂ¿-locution.
- MORALITY: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS IT? Hocutt, Max // Behavior & Philosophy;2010, Vol. 38, p31
Half a century ago, Elizabeth Anscombe reminded us that we of the West think of morality as a kind of law--viz., a moral law. As originally conceived, this law consisted of heavenly commands delivered to a favored clan and known only by the privileged few who could read sacred scripture....
- Russelm. Williams, C.J.F.; Williams, C. J. F. // Philosophical Quarterly;Oct93, Vol. 43 Issue 173, p496
Discusses author Elizabeth Anscombe's insistence on the deletion of a second comma in Anselm's proof in the `Proslogion 2'. Deletion of the comma as counteracting Anselm's ontological argument of God's existence; Subscription to philosopher Bertrand Russell's semantics.
- Anscombe sobre la Sustancia. Tomasini Bassols, Alejandro // TÃ³picos. Revista de FilosofÃa;2001, Issue 21, p103
In this paper I reconstruct Anscombe's intricate dicussion of the notion of Cartesian substance. In particular, I consider her analysis of the connection between secondary qualities and whatever they inhere in trying to assess her tentative conclusion to the effect that it is not feasible to get...
- Births. // Daily Variety;8/27/2010, Vol. 308 Issue 39, p53
The article announces several birthdays such as Ronan Bell, son of Catherine Bell and Adam Beason, on August 21, 2010, twins William Brooks and Elizabeth Margaret Ruzich, children of Ceres and John Ruzich, on August 11, 2010, and Ava Grace Kingsrud, daughter of Tania and Jack Kingsrud, on July...
- G. E. M. Anscombe: Living the Truth. Dolan, John M. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;May2001, Issue 113, p11
Focuses on the life of 20th century philosopher Gertrude Elizabeth Margareth Anscombe. Foundation in classical and modern philosophy and Catholicism; Political participation; Education attainment and research fellowships; Work in medical ethics.
- New Directions in Ethics: Naturalisms, Reasons and Virtue. Reader, Soran // Ethical Theory & Moral Practice;Dec2000, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p341
This paper discusses three topics in contemporary British ethical philosophy: naturalisms, moral reasons, and virtue. Most contemporary philosophers agree that 'ethics is natural' -- in Section 1 I examine the different senses that can be given to this idea, from reductive naturalism to...
- Collected Philosophical Papers. GOWANS, CHRISTOPHER W. // America;6/5/1982, Vol. 146 Issue 22, p445
The article reviews the book "Collected Philosophical Papers," by G. E. M. Anscombe.