- SUZANNE TIMKEN AND THE CORPORATE CUP. Miller, H.G. // Saturday Evening Post;Jan/Feb91, Vol. 263 Issue 1, p50
Describes the Stark County, Ohio, Community Corporate Cup fitness competition and its founders, John Thompson and Suzanne Timken. Program's origins; Competition's theme; Spin-off benefits.
- Teen's arms reattached. McPhee, A.T. // Current Science;4/10/92, Vol. 77 Issue 16, p6
Tells the story and the science behind 18-year-old John Thompson's struggle for survival after severing both his arms in a piece of farm equipment on his family's North Dakota farm. Accident details; How the vasospasm condition works; Why he managed to stay calm and able to direct rescuers;...
- Comeback kid. Nelson, M.; Schneider, K.S. // People;5/25/92, Vol. 37 Issue 20, p42
Covers the story of teenager John Thompson, whose arms were severed in a January 1992, farm accident. Looks at John's physical therapy and recuperation. Prognosis; Goals; Life in the limelight; Doctor's help and concerns.
- The adventures of `Snowshoe' Thompson. Fleming, Thomas // Boys' Life;Dec94, Vol. 84 Issue 12, p10
Recounts how John `Snowshoe' Thompson made a pair of skis and used them to carry mail and supplies through the Sierra Nevada mountains of California for 20 years during the 1800s. Where he got the idea for skis; Why he is considered by many to be the father of American skiing.
- Learning to be ordinary again. Yamasaki, Taro // People;3/7/94-3/14/94, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p167
Features lecturer John Thompson, two years after the machinery accident which severed his limbs. Reattachment of limbs; Humility and humor; Ordeals during recovery.
- Teen with reattached arms honored. // Current Science;10/2/92, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p15
Presents the teenage boy who had his arms reattached following a farm accident. John Thompson singing the national anthem.
- John Thompson lightens up. Boswell, T. // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Jan91, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p110
Profiles John Thompson, 49, the most successful and controversial black coach in American sports history. Currently coach of the Georgetown University Hoyas basketball team. Thompson lately has been trying to lighten up and show the softer side of his nature. Reputation; Career; Recent...
- Running to win. Karp, Hal // Black Enterprise;Jun97, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p80
Focuses on the challenges faced by John W. Thompson as general manager of IBM's Personal Software Product. Brief discussion on why IBM stock has crashed to $41 per share; Reason why John Thompson's abilities were quickly recognized by the heads of the company; How OS/2 had suffered in the...
- Coach John Thompson gives up his bid for Nevada gaming license. // Jet;4/8/96, Vol. 89 Issue 21, p48
Reports that John Thompson has agreed to drop his application for a Nevada gaming license. Intentions of Thompson to operate slot machines at the Las Vegas, Nevada airport.
- Hall of Fame embarrassed by denying John Thompson induction. Evans, Howie // New York Amsterdam News;07/09/98, Vol. 89 Issue 28, p48
Focuses on the omission of John Thompson, coach of Georgetown University, into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Possible reasons for this omission; Why Thompson should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame; Information on Thompson's basketball career.