- Symposium: A look at the life of Sidney Hook. Whitfield, Stephen J.; Klehr, Harvey E. // Academic Questions;Summer96, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p18
Presents articles reflecting on the contributions of philosopher Sidney Hook's ideas on intellectual trends in twentieth-century United States. Tribute to Hook's examined life by Stephen J. Whitfield; Hook's obsession with communism according to politics professor Harvey E. Klehr; Impact of...
- The importance of Sidney Hook. Kramer, H. // Commentary;Aug87, Vol. 84 Issue 2, p17
In a circle of writers who prided themselves on their insiders' knowledge of Marxism--Sidney Hook was the only one who was a recognized authority on the subject. He was also unusual among his confreres in the New York intellectual world for initiating and pursuing public debate over a whole...
- On being a Jew. // Commentary;Oct89, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p28
Interview with Jewish philosopher Sidney Hook. Family background; Religious training and keeping kosher; Zionism; Anti-Semitism; The Holocaust.
- Sidney Hook 1902-1989. Bell, D. // New Leader;7/24/89, Vol. 72 Issue 11, p3
Presents an overview of the philosophy and writings of the late author Sidney Hook. Initial Marxist leanings; Eventual anti-Communist outlook; Key works; Organizational activities.
- Remembering Sidney Hook. Epstein, J. // Commentary;Nov89, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p41
Tribute to author Sidney Hook. Hook's participation in a 1964 panel on `Liberalism and the Negro'; Personality; Books by Hook; Worldly philosophy; Political roles.
- Sidney Hook, R I P. Witonski, Peter // National Review;8/18/1989, Vol. 41 Issue 15, p15
The article presents an obituary for Sidney Hook, an American philosopher.
- Honoring Sidney Hook. Gross, Barry R. // Academic Questions;Winter90/91, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p12
Pays tribute to Sidney Hook, a fighter for intellectual freedom. Colleagues' comments on Sidney Hook; Hook's struggle for freedom; Recognition of Hook's achievements in the cause of academic freedom and integrity; Sidney Hook Memorial Award presentation.
- The Sidney Hook Memorial Award address: On the self-suppression of academic freedom. Coleman, James S. // Academic Questions;Winter90/91, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p17
Examines pressure deterring scholars from pursuing questions and topics which elicit wide disapproval of their colleagues. Taboos on certain topics; Self-suppression of research; Sidney Hook's lectures; Alternatives to ensure that inconvenient questions are pursued; Suggestion of subcommunity...
- Reflections on Sidney Hook. Hessen, Robert; Hook, Ernerst Benjamin; Bunzel, John H.; Ross, Ralph G.; Drachkovitch, Milorad M.; Yin Lujun // Academic Questions;Winter89/90, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p9
Focuses on the life and works of educator, Sidney Hook. Influence of Sidney on the career choice of doctor, Robert Hessen; Awards received by Hook; Contributions of Hook to education.