- BIBLIOGRAPHY. // Deconstruction, Imperialism & the West Indian Novel;1996, p137
A list of books related to West Indian novels is presented which include "Imperialism: Part Two of the Origins of Totalitarianism," by Hannah Arendt, "Culture and Anarchy: An Essay in Political and Social Criticism," by Matthew Arnold and edited by lan Gregor and "The Dialogic Imagination," by...
- MATTHEW ARNOLD. Branam, Harold // Research Guide to Biography & Criticism;1985, Vol. 1, p32
This article provides information on author Matthew Arnold which may be invaluable to research, including the author's chronology, selected bibliography, and selected criticism. Born December 24, 1822, Laleham, Middlesex, England, oldest son of Mary Penrose and Thomas Arnold; 1833 becomes close...
- Rhyming briefs. Bernstein, David // Design Week;1/29/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p12
The article presents an untitled poem by Matthew Arnold. First Line: The poet, said a poet, is the true; Last Line: Arouse our senses, experiencer of change.
- Translation in Arnold's Empedocles. Wallace, Jennifer; College, Clare // Essays in Criticism;Oct95, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p301
Analyzes poet Arnold Matthew's attitude towards translation. Arnold's ambiguous attitude to translation; Preference for the idea of internal penetration; Desiring comprehension and stillness; Representation of life in poetry; Concept of translation as cure.
- Arnoldian ethnology. Pecora, Vincent P. // Victorian Studies;Spring98, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p355
Examines the concept of culture according to Matthew Arnold. Problems with Arnold's confusion and inconsistent approach to the relations between race and culture; Opposition between Hellen and Hebrew in Arnold's writings; Distinction between a higher and disinterested curiosity linked to the...
- AN UNPUBLISHED MATTHEW ARNOLD LETTER. Monteiro, George // American Notes & Queries;Jan64, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p71
Presents the text of an unpublished letter written by poet Matthew Arnold.
- Hebraism and Hellenism reconsidered. Feldman, Louis H. // Judaism;Spring94, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p115
Discusses Matthew Arnold's 1869 essay `Hebraism and Hellenism' examining its view on the historical coexistence of the Greek and Jewish cultures. Differentiating characteristics of both cultures; Hellenic and Hebraic concepts of morality and religious practice; Concepts of time.
- Matthew Arnold. Thesing, William B. // Victorian Poetry;Autumn93, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p264
Presents a review of books and other literary works dealing with Matthew Arnold. Resurgence of interest in all aspects of Arnold's life and works; `Selected Letters of Matthew Arnold'; `The Essential Matthew Arnold.'
- Matthew Arnold. MacHann, Clinton // Victorian Poetry;Fall2001, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p428
Examines the important writings of Matthew Arnold that tackles on religious criticisms. Idea of writing; Poetry of old Israel; Production of critical essays.