Fathers, daughters, slaves: The haunted scene of writing in Jewett's `In Dark New England Days'
- Visions of time in The Country of the Pointed Firs. Graham, Margaret Baker // Studies in Short Fiction;Winter95, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p29
Presents an interpretation of Sarah Orne Jewett's `The Country of the Pointed Firs'. Perspectives on feminist theory; Narrative structure; Theory of time.
- A Woman's Psychological Journey in Jewett's "The King of Folly Island" Church, Joseph // Essays in Literature;Fall96, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p234
Discusses the book `The King of Folly Island,' by Sarah Orne Jewett. Depiction of provincial life; Evidence in the use of narratives to address the psychological and sociological conditions of women; Interest in women's subjection to man's familial prerogatives.
- Writing to the human heart. Seldes, Marian // Victoria;Jan96, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p38
Describes writer Willa Cather. Depth of meaning of works; Family background; Influence of Sarah Orne Jewett.
- A visit to `The Country of the Pointed Firs'. Toth, Susan Allen // Victoria;Sep96, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p80
Profiles writer Sarah Orne Jewett. Author's fascination with Jewett's Dunnet Landing in the novel `The Country of the Pointed Firs'; description of Jewett's environment; Features of Jewett's house in Maine.
- Knowing the World So Well. Simon, Linda // World & I;Jul2000, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p269
Profiles Theodora Sarah Orne Jewett, a 19th-century woman writer. Biographical information; Several pseudonyms she used for her early publications; Books written; Social life.
- `Young Goodman Brown' and `A White Heron': Correspondences and illuminations. Zanger, Jules // Papers on Language & Literature;Summer90, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p346
Demonstrates the parallelism between the works of authors Nathaniel Hawthorne and Sarah Orne Jewett. Focus on Jewett's `A White Heron' and Hawthorne's `Young Goodman Brown'; Sharing of themes; Settings; Narrative sequences; Images; Dynamics; Inconclusiveness of endings; Difference in Jewett's...
- The Country of the Pointed Firs. Schultz, Christine; Kageleiry, Jamie // Yankee;Aug96, Vol. 60 Issue 8, p16
Features female writer Sarah Orne Jewett. Literary debut in `The Atlantic Monthly' in 1869; Publication of work `The Country of the Pointed Firs'; Death of Jewett in 1909 from injuries suffered after falling off a carriage.
- Discovering a writer's heart. Whitcomb, Claire // Victoria;Sep96, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p78
Features the historic house of writer Sarah Orne Jewett in South Berwick, Maine. Furniture; Interior; History of the house.
- NEW ENGLAND LADIES. Baxter, Roberta // Cobblestone;Mar2002, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p22
Features two female nineteenth-century writers, Mary Wilkins Freeman and Sarah Orne Jewett.