Homiletics and hermeneutics: The rhetorical spaces in between
- The Logos in Western Thought. Lawler, Peter Augustine // Modern Age;Winter2009, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p42
A literary criticism of "The Law of God" by Rémi Brague is presented. It examines the beliefs of leading Christian thinkers such as Saint Augustine and Saint Thomas Aquinas and of Jewish and Muslim thinkers such as Maimonides concerning divinity and humanity. It comments on Judaic and Islamic...
- O Admirabile Commercium: The true Christmas exchange. Meconi, David Vincent // Homiletic & Pastoral Review;Dec2010, Vol. 111 Issue 3, p47
The article offers the author's insights on the alleged true "exchange" of Christmas, reflecting on the antiphon "O Admirabile Commercium (O marvelous exchange!)." He discusses the approach of St. Gregory of Nazianzus, St. Augustine of Hippo, and St. Thomas Aquinas showing that "exchange" refers...
- If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, does this make it unimportant? Grayling, A. C. // Prospect;Feb2008, Issue 143, p10
The author reflects on the concept of beauty and its meaning. He discusses Enlightenment thinkers such as St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas and their idea that beauty is the cause of pleasure. He states that beauty is not an unimportant quality and that some things are objectively beautiful...
- THOMAS AQUINAS AND MEDIAEVAL PHILOSOPHY IN ROMANIAN CULTURE (1800-1947). Tătaru-Cazaban, Bogdan // Chôra: Revue d'Études Anciennes et Médiévales;2009/2010, Vol. 7/8, p255
No abstract available.
- Reading the Signs. Weaver, Rebecca Harden // Interpretation: A Journal of Bible & Theology;Jan2004, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p28
The article discusses the interpretation of the signs in the Bible and the way its meaning is communicated, which are considered dynamic processes in relation to the human condition. Advice about interpreting the scripture; Questions confronted by Saint Augustine in his search for meaning;...
- Augustinus' geschrift 'De stad van God' (De ciuitate Dei): Een introductie tot de belangrijkste themata. van Oort, Johannes // Hervormde Teologiese Studies;2011, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p1
The aim of the article is to present an introduction to the main themes of Augustine's City of God. The key issues concerning the inception and contents of the work are highlighted. The article emphasises that Biblical interpretation played a pivotal role in this work, which is perhaps the most...
- The Holy Spirit as the mutual love of the Father and the Son. Coffey, David // Theological Studies;Jun90, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p193
Examines the mutual-love theory of the Trinity of Saint Augustine. Mutual-love theory founded on scripture; Place in theology.
- Augustine in contemporary trinitarian theology. Barnes, Michel Rene // Theological Studies;Jun95, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p237
Argues that many treatments of Saint Augustine in contemporary Trinitarian theology are based on an incomplete reading of Augustine by contemporary systematicians. Patristic trinitarian doctrine; Modern appropriations of Augustine; Fundamental source of doctrines.
- Giles of Rome on political authority. McAleer, Graham // Journal of the History of Ideas;Jan99, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p21
Analyzes the theories of Giles of Rome on political authority. Continuity between Giles and Augustine in their conception of political authority; Post-lapsarian rule; Political description of the Fall and the coercive character of political authority; Effect of desire for coercive power on...