Dueling over gun control
Tags: GUN control
- Gun owners are fed up. Gutner, Lorne // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;6/13/94, Vol. 21 Issue 26, p22
Reports that many Albertans are angry with the Canadian national government for buying into arguments that legally-owned guns are a threat to society. Various statistical types of data; Comment and analysis.
- Get 'em while they're legal. Verburg, Peter // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;7/4/94, Vol. 21 Issue 29, p22
Reports that as politicians in Ottawa consider new gun control legislation, many Canadians are continuing to purchase firearms. Actions of Justice Minister Allan Rock; Moves by anti-gun lobbyists.
- Philadelphia mayor bridges gun-control divide. Thurman, James N. // Christian Science Monitor;7/10/98, Vol. 90 Issue 158, p4
Reports that Philadelphia Mayor Edward Rendell's proposal to create a metrowide zero-tolerance zone for illegal firearms. The proposals praise by both gun foes and the National Rifle Association; The modeling of the plan after Richmond, Virginia's program that aggressively prosecutes firearm...
- Feds claim progress in fight against illegal gun trafficking. Walker, Sam // Christian Science Monitor;3/19/97, Vol. 89 Issue 78, p1
Reports that federal law-enforcement agents are making progress in a four-year effort to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. Effects of the signing of the 1993 omnibus crime bill by President Bill Clinton; Decrease in the number of federal firearms licenses; Decline in the pool of arms...
- California town steps into gun control cross-fire. Drew, Kevin // Christian Science Monitor;4/23/97, Vol. 89 Issue 103, p3
Focuses on the debate in Livermore, California over the proposed banning of cheap handguns there. Livermore police department chief Ron Scott's support for the ban; Background on the efforts to ban these guns; Information on Livermore; Arguments of supporters of the ban.
- Where it's a crime not to own a gun . Biele, Katharine // Christian Science Monitor;3/14/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 75, p3
Discusses social and political conditions in Virgin, Utah, specifically its reaction to the debate on gun control in the United States.
- Gunning for the dealers. Martin, Nina // Mother Jones;Jan/Feb92, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p17
Presents information on gun control and asks the question of whether negligence suits will be a more effective form of gun control than legislature. Case with an outlet of Guns Unlimited and fifteen-year old Nicholas Elliot.
- A killing spurs new resolve to fight gun addiction. Drinan, Robert F. // National Catholic Reporter;5/20/94, Vol. 30 Issue 29, p2
Discusses the need for a more effective gun control in the United States. Killing by gunshot of 16-year old Gregory Webster by a drive-in hoodlum; Increase in gun sales due to perceived lack of law enforcement; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms' findings on a visit to 400 outlets in 1993;...
- Gun poor. Doherty, Brian // Reason;Mar96, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p18
Focuses on gun control. Enforcement of melting low points; Reasons for targeting cheap guns with laws.
- Gun control: New approaches. Anderson, George M. // America;3/11/1995, Vol. 172 Issue 8, p26
Focuses on the increasing need for more effective gun control regulations in the United States. Lack of accountability from gun-owning households; Causes and cases of gun accidents involving children; Child-safety proposals; Concerns on the increasing gun access of young people; Public...