The existential reader: Or reading, rumination, and the classics
- American literacy controversy. Tuttleton, J.W. // Commentary;Jul87, Vol. 84 Issue 1, p45
Looks at the current crisis and public debate over the literacy of the American people. Discusses concerns about illiteracy and its causes, and literary scholar E.D. Hirsch's studies of literacy. Impact on the debate by Jonathan Kozol's book `Illiterate America' and coverage of the problem as...
- Adults: The forgotten illiterates. Fiske, Edward B. // Christian Science Monitor;5/30/97, Vol. 89 Issue 129, p18
Focuses on adult literacy rates in the United States, and looks at the efforts of that country to educate its workers and citizens. Reference to reports that focus on this issue; Comparison of the literacy rate of American adults, to adults in other countries; Indepth look at the reduction of...
- The caregiver's role in emergent literacy. Schuman, D.R.; Relihan, J. // Children Today;Sep/Oct90, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p20
Looks at the caregiver's role in emergent literacy. Linking literature to literacy; Universal literacy; Child literacy development.
- Americans rank average in literacy study. // Curriculum Review;Mar1996, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p3
Reports that Americans have average ranking in literacy rate. Comparison with literacy rate of other industrialized nations.
- `Literacy--Pass It On'. // Hispanic Times Magazine;Oct/Nov1990, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p26
Highlights efforts of the Denver, Colorado community to fight literacy. Comedian George Lopez as guest in the `Literacy--Pass It On' festival; Celebrity guests; Monetary donation of Coors Brewing Co. to Colorado Literacy Assistance Center.
- Literacy is ultimate development tool. Marcus, Morton // Indianapolis Business Journal;8/18/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 23, p13
Comments on the need to increase the level of literacy in the U.S. Importance of literacy to learn complex processes or make progress in a world that requires learning; Ways to develop literacy.
- Teachers seek help in fighting illiteracy. Bennett, Ann Becker // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);9/27/93, Vol. 40 Issue 39, p25
Discusses educators' concern over illiteracy and educational standards at Long Island, New York. Quality of high school graduates; Need for cooperation from parents; School billings for the handicapped; Proposed federal school aid cuts; Statistics on public and private college tuition fees;...
- Clark County's silent majority. Spotleson, Bruce // Las Vegas Business Press;09/15/97, Vol. 14 Issue 37, p4
Opinion. Comments regarding the literacy rate in Clark County, Nevada. Example of an illiterate American; Definition of literacy; Necessity of newspapers to help decrease illiteracy in the state.
- Capitol Hill heeds illiteracy. Fields, H. // Publishers Weekly;3/3/89, Vol. 235 Issue 9, p30
Discusses testimony before a US House Education and Labor subcommittee on the problems of illiteracy.
- Business defines its role. Prete, B. // Publishers Weekly;5/26/89, Vol. 235 Issue 21, p20
Reports on the role business has taken in tackling the US illiteracy problem. Publisher Harold McGraw and the Business Council for Effective Literacy and its work; The BCEL `Newsletter;' States' involvements; Report to government `Jump Start.'