OUT OF PLATO'S CAVE: THE NATURAL HISTORY OF TIME
- The Habitation of the Word. Gass, William H. // Kenyon Review;Fall84, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p85
Examines the use of language and the theory of knowledge in Plato's 'Phaedrus.' Expression of quantitative law; Relationship between ideas and things; Theory of language; Rhetoric.
- Argumento, silencio y acciï¿½n en la distinciï¿½n de filï¿½sofo y sofista. Marino L�pez, Antonio // Tï¿½picos. Revista de Filosofï¿½a;1997, Issue 12, p19
A detailed analysis of the dialogue Sophist shows that the distinction between philosopher and sophist sketched there by Plato is possible by tracing a distinction between dialogue and argument, in which the difference between the recourse to appearance and the demand of objectivity plays an...
- Three Disappearing Ladders in Plato. Dorter, Kenneth // Philosophy & Rhetoric;1996, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p279
The article presents information on various issues related to Platonic philosophy. The crucial importance of rhetoric for Plato is most evident in the book "Phaedrus," where Plato, after devoting the first half of the dialogue to "eros" and the love of wisdom, devotes the second half to...
- An Enquiry Concerning Heraclitus's Doctrine of Logos. LIU Zhyong // Qingdao Daxue Shifanxueyuan Xuebao/Journal of Teachers College Q;2012, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p102
Heraclitus has become a typical figure of the flowing deformation school in the history of western philosophy, not least owing to the dramatization by Plato and the appropriation on the part of the Stoics. Based on Heraclitus's own fragments, drawing on many scholars' study, this paper holds...
- Plato grammaticus. Sobre el concepto platÃ³nico de epistÄ“mÄ“ en la doctrina del sueÃ±o del Teeteto. // AretÃ©: Revista de FilosofÃa;2009, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p167
No abstract available.
- Die semiotische Erkenntnistheorie Platons im Siebten Brief. Eine EinfÃ¼hrung in den sogenannten philosophischen Exkurs. // AretÃ©: Revista de FilosofÃa;2009, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p223
No abstract available.
- CLAIMS ABOUT THE FUTURE: IMMORTALITY: Pre-Existence. Steinkraus, Warren E.; Mitias, Michael H. // Taking Religious Claims Seriously;1998, p194
The article focuses on idea of pre-existence. It says that the existence of human is directly linked to immortality which is viewed as an intrinsic part of the theory of knowledge of Plato. It states that Plato taught the doctrine of reminiscence in which the knowledge that the people acquire is...
- ANTICIPATING THE FORMS. Brice, Robert Greenleaf // Analysis & Metaphysics;2008, Vol. 7, p132
My aim here is to determine whether in Plato's early dialoguesâ€”Meno, Phaedo, Euthyphroâ€”there is enough evidence to suggest the presence of his theory of Forms. While the theory of recollection (anamnesis) is present in both Meno and Phaedo, the conventional wisdom is that we only...
- Introduction to Plato's Republic. Robinson, Dave // Introducing Plato;9/ 1/2005, p48
The article presents an introduction to "The Republic," a Socratic dialogue by the Greek philosopher Plato. It is one of the most influential works of philosophy and philosophy and arguably Plato's best known work. The philosophical work tackles several ideas and arguments about knowledge,...