SWEETNESS AND LIGHT--A MISQUOTATION
- THE LAWYER. // Lawyer;1/17/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p2
The article presents quotes from Matthew Arnold & Baldwin managing partner Iain Donaldson on his perspective about litigation, Christian Harmsen, co-head of intellectual property (IP) at Bird & Bird regarding the effect of the U.S. conflicts of interest on IP and litigation practices, and...
- Rhyming briefs. Bernstein, David // Design Week;1/29/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p12
The article presents an untitled poem by Matthew Arnold. First Line: The poet, said a poet, is the true; Last Line: Arouse our senses, experiencer of change.
- Translation in Arnold's Empedocles. Wallace, Jennifer; College, Clare // Essays in Criticism;Oct95, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p301
Analyzes poet Arnold Matthew's attitude towards translation. Arnold's ambiguous attitude to translation; Preference for the idea of internal penetration; Desiring comprehension and stillness; Representation of life in poetry; Concept of translation as cure.
- Arnoldian ethnology. Pecora, Vincent P. // Victorian Studies;Spring98, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p355
Examines the concept of culture according to Matthew Arnold. Problems with Arnold's confusion and inconsistent approach to the relations between race and culture; Opposition between Hellen and Hebrew in Arnold's writings; Distinction between a higher and disinterested curiosity linked to the...
- AN UNPUBLISHED MATTHEW ARNOLD LETTER. Monteiro, George // American Notes & Queries;Jan64, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p71
Presents the text of an unpublished letter written by poet Matthew Arnold.
- Hebraism and Hellenism reconsidered. Feldman, Louis H. // Judaism;Spring94, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p115
Discusses Matthew Arnold's 1869 essay `Hebraism and Hellenism' examining its view on the historical coexistence of the Greek and Jewish cultures. Differentiating characteristics of both cultures; Hellenic and Hebraic concepts of morality and religious practice; Concepts of time.
- BIBLIOGRAPHY. // Deconstruction, Imperialism & the West Indian Novel;1996, p137
A list of books related to West Indian novels is presented which include "Imperialism: Part Two of the Origins of Totalitarianism," by Hannah Arendt, "Culture and Anarchy: An Essay in Political and Social Criticism," by Matthew Arnold and edited by lan Gregor and "The Dialogic Imagination," by...
- Matthew Arnold. Thesing, William B. // Victorian Poetry;Autumn93, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p264
Presents a review of books and other literary works dealing with Matthew Arnold. Resurgence of interest in all aspects of Arnold's life and works; `Selected Letters of Matthew Arnold'; `The Essential Matthew Arnold.'
- Matthew Arnold. MacHann, Clinton // Victorian Poetry;Fall2001, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p428
Examines the important writings of Matthew Arnold that tackles on religious criticisms. Idea of writing; Poetry of old Israel; Production of critical essays.