SWEETNESS AND LIGHT--A MISQUOTATION
- THE LAWYER. // Lawyer;1/17/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p2
The article presents quotes from Matthew Arnold & Baldwin managing partner Iain Donaldson on his perspective about litigation, Christian Harmsen, co-head of intellectual property (IP) at Bird & Bird regarding the effect of the U.S. conflicts of interest on IP and litigation practices, and...
- MATTHEW ARNOLD: COMPARATIVE EDUCATOR AND ADVOCATE OF A EUROPEAN FRAME OF MIND. Rapple, Brendan A. // Contemporary Review;Apr1991, Vol. 258 Issue 1503, p190
Pays tribute to the late comparative educator Matthew Arnold.
- Rhyming briefs. Bernstein, David // Design Week;1/29/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p12
The article presents an untitled poem by Matthew Arnold. First Line: The poet, said a poet, is the true; Last Line: Arouse our senses, experiencer of change.
- AN UNPUBLISHED MATTHEW ARNOLD LETTER. Monteiro, George // American Notes & Queries;Jan64, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p71
Presents the text of an unpublished letter written by poet Matthew Arnold.
- Hebraism and Hellenism reconsidered. Feldman, Louis H. // Judaism;Spring94, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p115
Discusses Matthew Arnold's 1869 essay `Hebraism and Hellenism' examining its view on the historical coexistence of the Greek and Jewish cultures. Differentiating characteristics of both cultures; Hellenic and Hebraic concepts of morality and religious practice; Concepts of time.
- Philhellenism and antisemitism: Matthew Arnold and his German models. Gossman, Lionel // Comparative Literature;Winter94, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p1
Discusses Matthew Arnold's criticism of Hebraism. Historical connection between philhellenism and anti-Judaism; Basis of German neohumanism; Anti-Judaism of Georg W.F. Hegel and Friedrich Nietzsche; Romantic revolt against Enlightenment; `Culture and Anarchy'; Twin motors of history and...
- Matthew Arnold. Machann, Clinton // Victorian Poetry;Aut/Win95, Vol. 33 Issue 3/4, p513
Discusses 1994 publications on the works of Matthew Arnold. Includes the reprinting of the 1869 edition of `Culture and Anarchy,' by the Yale University Press; Relevance of Arnold's book to debates about culture; Paper entitled `Arnold, Critic of Ideology,' by Eugene Goodheart on Arnold's...
- BIBLIOGRAPHY. // Deconstruction, Imperialism & the West Indian Novel;
A list of books related to West Indian novels is presented which include "Imperialism: Part Two of the Origins of Totalitarianism," by Hannah Arendt, "Culture and Anarchy: An Essay in Political and Social Criticism," by Matthew Arnold and edited by lan Gregor and "The Dialogic Imagination," by...
- Arnoldian ethnology. Pecora, Vincent P. // Victorian Studies;Spring98, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p355
Examines the concept of culture according to Matthew Arnold. Problems with Arnold's confusion and inconsistent approach to the relations between race and culture; Opposition between Hellen and Hebrew in Arnold's writings; Distinction between a higher and disinterested curiosity linked to the...