JANE AUSTEN'S PROPOSAL SCENES AND THE LIMITATIONS OF LANGUAGE
- Discoveries. Ford, Susan Allen // Persuasions: The Jane Austen Journal Online;Winter2007, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p5
A literary criticism of the book "Emma," by Jane Austen is presented. It states that one of the pleasures of reading-and rereading "Emma" is following the comedy of misrecognition and the misapplication of her imaginative powers. Discovery, Emma suggests, needs to be attempted with some caution....
- The late Jane Austen. Miller, D.A. // Raritan;Summer90, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p55
Features novelist Jane Austen. Medical themes in Austen's writings; Moral rationalization; Ideological use of the body; Use of the word `enough' in Austen's works; Health-oriented discourses.
- Jane Austen. RAW // Entertainment Weekly;12/29/95-1/5/96, Issue 307/308, p40
Focuses on Jane Austen, whose novels have been adapted for the big and small screens of Hollywood. Comments from Austen.
- Which persuasion? Luscombe, Belinda // Time;8/14/1995, Vol. 146 Issue 7, p73
Questions the sexual orientation of Jane Austen. Appearance of an essay in the normally staid London `Review of Books' exploring the `unconscious homoerotic dimension' of Austen's letters to her sister Cassandra.
- Jane Austen for the nineties. Allen, Brooke // New Criterion;Sep95, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p15
Examines the relevance of Jane Austen's writings as produced in movies in the 1990s. Includes `Pride and Prejudice'; Vulnerability of Austen's heroes; Appeal of ambiguous messages; Disadvantages of apparent irony and instruction on how the readers ought to think; Family background; Influences...
- Jane Austen reread. Calvert, Catherine // Victoria;May95, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p30
Describes novelist Jane Austen and her works. Written biographies on Austen; Sequels to her works by other authors; Criticisms.
- CELEBRATING THE BICENTENNIAL: JANE AUSTEN AND HER RECENT CRITICS. Roth, Barry // Studies in the Novel;Winter76, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p474
Focuses on the studies of critics on the literary work of Jane Austen on the occasion of her bicentennial. Fundamental problem of assessing Jane Austen's achievement in Joel Weinsheimer's 'Jane Austen Today'; Depiction of artistry and knowledge of Jane Austen regarding human nature in the...
- Jane Austen in the high school classroom. Fritzer, Penelope // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Feb96, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p398
Recommends classic literature for the high school classroom. Choice of classics that address student interests; Relationship between the sexes in Jane Austen's writings; `Pride and Prejudice,' by Elizabeth Bennett; `Northanger Abbey' and `Emma,' by John Murray.
- The Letters of Jane Austen: The Writer as Ã‰metteur/RÃ©cepteur. Kestner, Joseph // Papers on Language & Literature;Summer78, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p249
Analyzes 'Letters,' by Jane Austen which incorporates the literary form of the Romantic period in England. Complexity in analyzing the literary work; Attitude of Austen toward writing; Questions that arise from reading 'Letters'; Advantages of ordinary letters.