LITERATURE AND POWER
- July, 1888. Howells, William Dean // Editor's Study: A Comprehensive Edition of William Dean Howells';1983, p143
The article presents the issues discussed in the "Editor's Study" section of the July 1888 issue of the magazine "New Monthly." One of the issues which was featured during the magazine's publication was the effect of the death of famous author and poet named Matthew Arnold. The article also...
- Goethe and Arnold's 1853 Preface. Barry, Josephine Maillet // Comparative Literature;Spring80, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p151
A critique is presented on the author's preface to British poet Matthew Arnold's 1853 book "Poems," focusing on evidence from the preface that Arnold was influenced by the German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Romance poetry, Arnold's attitude toward ArchitectonicÃ¨, or the creative poetic...
- Rhyming briefs. Bernstein, David // Design Week;1/29/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p12
The article presents an untitled poem by Matthew Arnold. First Line: The poet, said a poet, is the true; Last Line: Arouse our senses, experiencer of change.
- Translation in Arnold's Empedocles. Wallace, Jennifer; College, Clare // Essays in Criticism;Oct95, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p301
Analyzes poet Arnold Matthew's attitude towards translation. Arnold's ambiguous attitude to translation; Preference for the idea of internal penetration; Desiring comprehension and stillness; Representation of life in poetry; Concept of translation as cure.
- AN UNPUBLISHED MATTHEW ARNOLD LETTER. Monteiro, George // American Notes & Queries;Jan64, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p71
Presents the text of an unpublished letter written by poet Matthew Arnold.
- Hebraism and Hellenism reconsidered. Feldman, Louis H. // Judaism;Spring94, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p115
Discusses Matthew Arnold's 1869 essay `Hebraism and Hellenism' examining its view on the historical coexistence of the Greek and Jewish cultures. Differentiating characteristics of both cultures; Hellenic and Hebraic concepts of morality and religious practice; Concepts of time.
- Matthew Arnold. Thesing, William B. // Victorian Poetry;Autumn93, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p264
Presents a review of books and other literary works dealing with Matthew Arnold. Resurgence of interest in all aspects of Arnold's life and works; `Selected Letters of Matthew Arnold'; `The Essential Matthew Arnold.'
- Matthew Arnold. MacHann, Clinton // Victorian Poetry;Fall2001, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p428
Examines the important writings of Matthew Arnold that tackles on religious criticisms. Idea of writing; Poetry of old Israel; Production of critical essays.
- Philhellenism and antisemitism: Matthew Arnold and his German models. Gossman, Lionel // Comparative Literature;Winter94, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p1
Discusses Matthew Arnold's criticism of Hebraism. Historical connection between philhellenism and anti-Judaism; Basis of German neohumanism; Anti-Judaism of Georg W.F. Hegel and Friedrich Nietzsche; Romantic revolt against Enlightenment; `Culture and Anarchy'; Twin motors of history and...