LITERATURE AND POWER
- July, 1888. Howells, William Dean // Editor's Study: A Comprehensive Edition of William Dean Howells';1983, p143
The article presents the issues discussed in the "Editor's Study" section of the July 1888 issue of the magazine "New Monthly." One of the issues which was featured during the magazine's publication was the effect of the death of famous author and poet named Matthew Arnold. The article also...
- MATTHEW ARNOLD: COMPARATIVE EDUCATOR AND ADVOCATE OF A EUROPEAN FRAME OF MIND. Rapple, Brendan A. // Contemporary Review;Apr1991, Vol. 258 Issue 1503, p190
Pays tribute to the late comparative educator Matthew Arnold.
- Goethe and Arnold's 1853 Preface. Barry, Josephine Maillet // Comparative Literature;Spring80, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p151
A critique is presented on the author's preface to British poet Matthew Arnold's 1853 book "Poems," focusing on evidence from the preface that Arnold was influenced by the German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Romance poetry, Arnold's attitude toward ArchitectonicÃ¨, or the creative poetic...
- Rhyming briefs. Bernstein, David // Design Week;1/29/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p12
The article presents an untitled poem by Matthew Arnold. First Line: The poet, said a poet, is the true; Last Line: Arouse our senses, experiencer of change.
- AN UNPUBLISHED MATTHEW ARNOLD LETTER. Monteiro, George // American Notes & Queries;Jan64, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p71
Presents the text of an unpublished letter written by poet Matthew Arnold.
- Hebraism and Hellenism reconsidered. Feldman, Louis H. // Judaism;Spring94, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p115
Discusses Matthew Arnold's 1869 essay `Hebraism and Hellenism' examining its view on the historical coexistence of the Greek and Jewish cultures. Differentiating characteristics of both cultures; Hellenic and Hebraic concepts of morality and religious practice; Concepts of time.
- Philhellenism and antisemitism: Matthew Arnold and his German models. Gossman, Lionel // Comparative Literature;Winter94, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p1
Discusses Matthew Arnold's criticism of Hebraism. Historical connection between philhellenism and anti-Judaism; Basis of German neohumanism; Anti-Judaism of Georg W.F. Hegel and Friedrich Nietzsche; Romantic revolt against Enlightenment; `Culture and Anarchy'; Twin motors of history and...
- Matthew Arnold. Machann, Clinton // Victorian Poetry;Aut/Win95, Vol. 33 Issue 3/4, p513
Discusses 1994 publications on the works of Matthew Arnold. Includes the reprinting of the 1869 edition of `Culture and Anarchy,' by the Yale University Press; Relevance of Arnold's book to debates about culture; Paper entitled `Arnold, Critic of Ideology,' by Eugene Goodheart on Arnold's...
- BIBLIOGRAPHY. // Deconstruction, Imperialism & the West Indian Novel;
A list of books related to West Indian novels is presented which include "Imperialism: Part Two of the Origins of Totalitarianism," by Hannah Arendt, "Culture and Anarchy: An Essay in Political and Social Criticism," by Matthew Arnold and edited by lan Gregor and "The Dialogic Imagination," by...