VICTORIAN CENTERFOLD: ANOTHER LOOK AT MILLAIS'S CHERRY RIPE
- REPLY TO PAMELA TAMARKIN REIS. Bradley, Laurel // Victorian Studies;Winter92, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p206
Comments on an article that elaborated a pedophilic reading of Cherry Ripe, a portrait from John Everett Millais which was the centerfold of the 'Graphic' newspaper published in the 19th century. Information on the portrait's public meaning in Victorian times; Argument on the frank sexuality of...
- FROM EDEN TO EMPIRE: JOHN EVERETT MILLIAS'S CHERRY RIPE. Bradley, Laurel // Victorian Studies;Winter91, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p179
Focuses on the 1879 portrait painting, 'Cherry Ripe,' by John Everett Millais. Information on the popularity of the works of Millais; Artist who influenced Millais; Parallel between Millais' growth and the development of artistic maturity of the British School.
- A FAMILY AFFAIR. Platt, Edward // Tate Etc.;Autumn2007, Issue 11, p88
The author focuses on artist John Everett Millais I and his works, including the portrait of the LempriÃ¨re family on Twelfth Night. He states that in Millais' said portrait, the members of the family are depicted from the front, but Millais has placed himself on a chair to the left, where he...
- John Millais's children: Faith, erotics, and the Woodman's Daughter. Polhemus, Robert M. // Victorian Studies;Spring94, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p433
Examines English painter John Millais' paintings of children. Cultural meaning in Millais' `The Woodman's Daughter'; Qualities of childhood depicted in the painting; Sexual scandal as the inspiration for Millais' painting; Impregnation of a country girl by the squire's son in the poem `The...
- The Sower. // Arts, Theology & The Church: New Intersections;2005, following p176
A photograph of "The Sower," a relief print on paper by Sir John Everett Millais, is presented.
- Romance in art. // In Britain;Oct/Nov2007, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p68
The article reviews an exhibition of paintings of painter John Everett Millais, at London, England through January 13, 2008.
- What of Bubbles? Bittner, David // Evelyn Waugh Newsletter & Studies;Sep2005, Vol. 36 Issue 2, pN.PAG
Presents background of John Everett Millais' painting "Bubbles." Speculation behind the decision of Millais to paint a portrait of his grandson Williams James; Overview of the military career of James; Attitude of character Anthony Blanche toward Sebastian Flyte in the novel "Brideshead Revisited."
- WHAT'S ON. // Asia Weekly;9/29/2008, Vol. 2 Issue 38, p32
The article offers information on the two exhibitions in Asia. The exhibition "Our Future: The Guy and Myriam Ullens Foundation Collection" is featured at Ullens Center for Contemporary Art in Beijing, China. It is a collection of several works from several generation of Chinese artists and is...
- The Leaven. // Arts, Theology & The Church: New Intersections;2005, following p176
A photograph of "The Leaven," a relief print on paper by Sir John Everett Millais, is presented.