VICTORIAN CENTERFOLD: ANOTHER LOOK AT MILLAIS'S CHERRY RIPE
- REPLY TO PAMELA TAMARKIN REIS. Bradley, Laurel // Victorian Studies;Winter92, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p206
Comments on an article that elaborated a pedophilic reading of Cherry Ripe, a portrait from John Everett Millais which was the centerfold of the 'Graphic' newspaper published in the 19th century. Information on the portrait's public meaning in Victorian times; Argument on the frank sexuality of...
- FROM EDEN TO EMPIRE: JOHN EVERETT MILLIAS'S CHERRY RIPE. Bradley, Laurel // Victorian Studies;Winter91, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p179
Focuses on the 1879 portrait painting, 'Cherry Ripe,' by John Everett Millais. Information on the popularity of the works of Millais; Artist who influenced Millais; Parallel between Millais' growth and the development of artistic maturity of the British School.
- A FAMILY AFFAIR. Platt, Edward // Tate Etc.;Autumn2007, Issue 11, p88
The author focuses on artist John Everett Millais I and his works, including the portrait of the LempriÃ¨re family on Twelfth Night. He states that in Millais' said portrait, the members of the family are depicted from the front, but Millais has placed himself on a chair to the left, where he...
- John Millais's children: Faith, erotics, and the Woodman's Daughter. Polhemus, Robert M. // Victorian Studies;Spring94, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p433
Examines English painter John Millais' paintings of children. Cultural meaning in Millais' `The Woodman's Daughter'; Qualities of childhood depicted in the painting; Sexual scandal as the inspiration for Millais' painting; Impregnation of a country girl by the squire's son in the poem `The...
- Romance in art. // In Britain;Oct/Nov2007, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p68
The article reviews an exhibition of paintings of painter John Everett Millais, at London, England through January 13, 2008.
- The Sower. // Arts, Theology & The Church: New Intersections;2005, following p176
A photograph of "The Sower," a relief print on paper by Sir John Everett Millais, is presented.
- The Leaven. // Arts, Theology & The Church: New Intersections;2005, following p176
A photograph of "The Leaven," a relief print on paper by Sir John Everett Millais, is presented.
- What of Bubbles? Bittner, David // Evelyn Waugh Newsletter & Studies;Sep2005, Vol. 36 Issue 2, pN.PAG
Presents background of John Everett Millais' painting "Bubbles." Speculation behind the decision of Millais to paint a portrait of his grandson Williams James; Overview of the military career of James; Attitude of character Anthony Blanche toward Sebastian Flyte in the novel "Brideshead Revisited."
- 'Millais'. Ormond, Leonee // British Art Journal;Winter2007/2008, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p71
The article reviews the art exhibition "Miilais," which features the work of the artist John Millais at the Tate Britain from September 26, 2007 to January 13, 2008, at Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam from February 15 to May 18, 2008, at Kitakyusha Municipal Museum of Art in Fukuoka from June 7,...