Dewi Sri in village garb: Fertility, myth, and ritual in Northeast Java
- Orion. Algozin, M. // Odyssey;Feb90, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p26
Recounts the Greek legend about the origins of the constellation Orion.
- Mercury, the messenger god. Baker, R.; Zarins, J.A. // Odyssey;Dec91, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p22
Recounts the Greek myth about the god Hermes for whom the planet Mercury was named.
- Wings for Daedalus. Baker, R.; Noll, C.K. // Odyssey;May92, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p22
Traces the legend of Daedalus, the mythological Greek inventor who escaped from his prison tower on a pair of wings. How the image of his winged escape has been popular throughout the centuries; Decision of the British Interplanetary Society in England to name a proposed interstellar spacecraft...
- The stories we live by. Keen, S. // Psychology Today;Dec88, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p42
Myths of heroes and villains buried within people work like DNA, providing unconscious information that governs the way they act. Discusses ways for people to discover some of the cultural myths in their lives.
- Moon magic. Haddock, P.; Pidgeon // Ranger Rick;Jul89, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p46
Presents five different thoughts on the moon. Myths of werewolves; Good luck; Bad luck; The word `moon'; The man in the moon.
- Myth busters. Mearns, Anna // Ranger Rick;Mar98, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p26
Presents facts that negates various myths about nature. Causes of warts; Comparison of the intelligence of owl to other birds; Absence of water in camels' humps.
- Gee-whiz geography. // National Geographic World;Oct90, Issue 182, p3
Discusses geographical places whose names come from legends. Giant's Causeway; House of the Sun; Pillars of Hercules.
- The 'Myth' About Myths. Hoey, Les // Social Alternatives;Jul90, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p50
Focuses on misconceptions about myths. Mythical stories; Mateship; Veracity of ancient myths.
- The power of myth: Lessons from Joseph Campbell. Lane, B.C. // Christian Century;7/12/89-7/19/89, Vol. 106 Issue 21, p652
Considers the relationship between theology and myth. The work of Joseph Campbell; Christian myth; Mystery, revelation, and reason together.