DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS ON JONATHAN EDWARDS
- "In Love with the Image": Transitive Being and Typological Desire in Jonathan Edwards. Leader, Jennifer L. // Early American Literature;Jun2006, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p153
This article analyzes the use of natural typology in the literary works and sermons of U.S. theologian Jonathan Edwards. Portraya a link between the construction of subjectivity and notions of perception and the aesthetic of the theologian. Describesthe capability of his typology to create a...
- JONATHAN EDWARDS' OPTICKS: IMAGES AND METAPHORS OF LIGHT IN SOME OF HIS MAJOR WORKS. Loewinsohn, Ron // Early American Literature;Spring1973, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p21
Discusses images and metaphors of light in some of the major works of 18th-century New England writer Jonathan Edwards. Species of metaphor which uses light as a vehicle for a large number of abstract conceptions; Tendency to link up images of light or emanations of God's glory with images of...
- JONATHAN EDWARDS ON 'FAITHFUL AND SUCCESSFUL MINISTERS' Westra, Helen Peter // Early American Literature;Dec88, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p281
Examines the leadership of Jonathan Edwards as reflected in his literary work 'A Faithful Narrative of the Surprising Conversions.' Documentation of religious fervor; Development of his pastoral consciousness; Description of revivals.
- 80 M.P.H. on ice. Sklarewitz, N. // Boys' Life;Dec90, Vol. 80 Issue 12, p36
Explains the sport of luge, a French word meaning `racing sled' and offers a look at luger Jonathan Edwards who travels to far-off parts of the world for competitions. Description of the sled and racing equipment; How he lies on the luge; Some of the competitions he has attended. INSET:...
- Jonathan Edwards' sublime book of nature. Miller, Gordon // History Today;Jul96, Vol. 46 Issue 7, p29
Features 18th century philosopher and theologian Jonathan Edwards. Childhood in Connecticut; Thinking on nature and spirit; Views on the sacredness of nature contained in `Of that Freedom of Will.'
- Jonathan Edwards: Missionary biographer, theologian, strategist, administrator, advocate--and... Davies, Ronald E. // International Bulletin of Missionary Research;Apr97, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p60
Examines the missionary dimensions of the life and ministry of Jonathan Edwards. Influence on the development of the modern Protestant missionary movement; Evidence of Edwards' continued missionary interest; Main points of his missionary theology.
- The 18-meter man. Hillenbrand, Barry // Time International (South Pacific Edition);07/22/96, Issue 30, p66
Focuses on Britain's triple jumper Jonathan Edwards who breached the 18-meter barrier in Gothenburg, Sweden at the World Athletics Championships and now holds a place in the record books. Edwards' world record performance highlighted; Comments from Edwards; Edwards' athletic achievements;...
- Leap of faith. Layden, Tim // Sports Illustrated;5/13/96, Vol. 84 Issue 19, p88
Profiles Jonathan Edwards, the greatest triple jumper of all time. Edwards owning the four longest jumps in history as well as the gold medal from the 1995 World Track and Field Championships; Edwards the clear favorite for the 1996 Olympic Games; His almost overwhelming modesty; The role that...
- INTERESTING AND UNUSUAL FACTS about Jonathan Edwards. Bertz, Steven; Armstrong, Chris // Christian History;2003, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p2
Presents information about the life of Jonathan Edwards, an American theologian. Movement co-founded by him; Views of Edwards that show he was a hedonist; Book edited by Edwards.