Closure and disclosure: The significance of conversation in Jane Austen's The Watsons
- Business as a Second Language. Bing, Stanley // Fortune;3/16/1998, Vol. 137 Issue 5, p51
Part 2. Presents a humorous discussion of the creation and enjoyment of business conversation. Measurements and definitions; The opening; The development; The point; The wrap-up.
- Are You a Chatterbox? NEMKO, MARTY // California Job Journal;8/22/2010, Vol. 28 Issue 1250, p4
The article offers several suggestions and an exercise to avoid being a chatterbox.
- How do teachers manage topic and repair? Ridley, Julia; Radford, Julie; Mahon, Merle // Child Language Teaching & Therapy;Feb2002, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p43
A case study is presented of a 10-year-old child described as having comprehension difficulties, in conversation with a specialist teacher, a mainstream teacher and a peer. Tape recordings of social talk between the child and the adults and peer were made in the school setting. The data are...
- Tech Data Execs Offer Their View On HP-3Com. // CRN;Nov2009, Issue 1291, p24
An excerpt from the conversation involving four Tech Data Corp. senior executives who shared their views on Hewlett-Packard Co.'s planned acquisition of 3Com is presented.
- Conversational Topic Shifting and its Effect on Communication Breakdowns for Individuals with Hearing Loss. Caissie, Rachel // Volta Review;Spring2000, Vol. 102 Issue 2, p45
Focuses on the occurrence of communication breakdowns following controversial topic changes by partners with normal hearing during communicative interactions with deaf people. Frequency of occurrence of communication breakdowns; Relationship between communication breakdowns and speaking turns.
- Microanalyses of Classroom Discourse: A Critical Consideration of Method. Zuengler, Jane; Mori, Junko // Applied Linguistics;Sep2002, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p283
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one on the exemplar of the ethnography of communication perspective, a study which employs a systematic functional linguistics framework, and the use of a conversation analysis approach as a central tool in investigating...
- Conversational usage of `integrity': An informal look. Trinkaus, John // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Apr98, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p585
Looks at how frequently the noun integrity is used in social conversations. Method used to observe usage of integrity; Reason for the lack in usage of the word; Reference to its usage during 67 half-hour television talk shows.
- A comparison of conversations of primary school groups at animated, preserved, and live animal... Tunnicliffe, Sue Dale // Journal of Biological Education (Society of Biology);Autumn96, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p195
Analyzes children's responses to animated dinosaur models, and preserved and live animal specimens. Dinosaur models data; Categories of topics of conversation; Incidence of conversations expressing attitude.
- Introduction. Bochner, Gregory; De Brabanter, Philippe; Kissine, Mikhail; Rossi, Daniela // Belgian Journal of Linguistics;2011, Vol. 25, p1
An introduction is presented in which the authors discuss various reports within the issue on topics including analysis of conversations of an adolescent with autism, metaphor comprehension in children, and use of adverb-adjective combinations by Dutch speaking children.