THE PRODIGAL SON PARABLE AND MACLEAN'S A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT
Tags: RIVER Runs Through It, A (Short story); PRODIGAL son (Parable); MACLEAN, Norman, 1902-1990; JESUS Christ -- Parables; BIBLE. N.T. Luke; FATHERS & sons in literature; GRACE (Theology) in literature
- The ministry of reconciliation. Hamm, Dennis // America;3/14/1998, Vol. 178 Issue 8, p47
Reflects on the parable `The Prodigal Son.' How Luke, one of the author of the four gospels, described the setting of the parable; Surprises enumerated by the author in analyzing the parable.
- Luke 15:11-32. Duff, Nancy J. // Interpretation: A Journal of Bible & Theology;Jan95, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p66
Focuses on the gospel of Luke chapter 15 verses 11 to 32 in the New Testament. Parable of the prodigal son; Empathy with the elder brother in the parable; Banquet of reconciliation of the parable.
- Really?!? De Jong, Patricia E. // Whosoever;Jul/Aug98, pN.PAG
Presents the text of a sermon preached March 22, 1998 at the First Congressional Church of Berkeley in California. Definition of Laetare; Discussion on the Gospel story of the Prodigal son; Mission of modern-day Christians.
- Ten Reasons to Own Your Faith. Turner, Paul // Whosoever;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p14
The article presents the reasons to own one's faith. He defines hell as being the state of total absence of God and not a place to be found on a map or geological survey. He asserts that people can only find their happiness if they set aside anger, hurt feelings, and indignity. The story of the...
- LOST AND FOUND: PONDERING THE PARABLE OF THE PRODIGAL SON. Millet, Robert L. // Studies in the Bible & Antiquity;2012, Issue 4, p95
The article ponders on the parable of the prodigal son. It provides a brief commentary on the verses in the fifteenth chapter of Luke which is viewed as a distillation of the plan of salvation. It outlines several lessons for life learned from the parable of the prodigal son, including the...
- The Elder Son. Kilgallen, J. J. // Expository Times;Mar2004, Vol. 115 Issue 6, p186
Interprets the three parables contained in Chapter 15 of the book of Luke. Manner in which Luke introduces the parables; Literary refrain that joins the parable; Analysis of the parable about the prodigal son.
- 10th March: 4th Sunday in Lent Two Sermons on the Parable of the Prodigal Son: Luke 15. 1-3, 11b-32. Jeffery, Robert // Expository Times;Feb2013, Vol. 124 Issue 5, p237
This article presents a sermon on the Parable of the Prodigal Son, taken from the Gospel of Luke chapter 15 verses 1-3. The sermon will be given on the fourth Sunday of the Lenten season on March 10, 2013. The origin of the parable lies in the story in the Gospel of Matthew chapter 21 verses...
- The Compassionate Father. Lewis, Alma // Expository Times;Feb2013, Vol. 124 Issue 5, p238
This article presents a sermon on the Parable of the Prodigal Son, taken from the Gospel of Luke chapter 15 verses 1-3. The sermon will be given on the fourth Sunday of the Lenten season on March 10, 2013. The parable tells the story of a son who sees the error of his ways and is welcomed back...
- The Foolish Father and the Economics of Grace. Eastman, Susan // Expository Times;Jul2006, Vol. 117 Issue 10, p402
By both ancient and modern standards, the exemplary father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son is a foolish parent. Nonetheless his foolish actions reveal an economy of grace that opens the door to repentance and reconciliation, by forgiving debts and exercising unaccountable generosity.