THE PRODIGAL SON PARABLE AND MACLEAN'S A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT
- The River of Life. Nixon, John K. // Humanist Perspectives;Spring2012, Issue 180, p8
In this article, the author discusses his attraction towards rivers and waterfalls citing reference to rocky foreshore on Costa Brava, Spain. Topics discussed include the poem "The Stream of Life" by Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore; motion of water in rivers; and the evocative story "A River...
- Faith that celebrates. Brashler, James // Presbyterian Outlook;3/28/2016, Vol. 198 Issue 7, p31
The article discusses scriptural lessons about faith that celebrates according to the Gospel of Luke. Luke 15: 11-13 tells the parable of the prodigal son where the father's great affection for the son motivated the son's request for an early inheritance. In Luke 15: 14-19, the son left home but...
- The ministry of reconciliation. Hamm, Dennis // America;3/14/1998, Vol. 178 Issue 8, p47
Reflects on the parable `The Prodigal Son.' How Luke, one of the author of the four gospels, described the setting of the parable; Surprises enumerated by the author in analyzing the parable.
- Luke 15:11-32. Duff, Nancy J. // Interpretation: A Journal of Bible & Theology;Jan95, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p66
Focuses on the gospel of Luke chapter 15 verses 11 to 32 in the New Testament. Parable of the prodigal son; Empathy with the elder brother in the parable; Banquet of reconciliation of the parable.
- Really?!? De Jong, Patricia E. // Whosoever;Jul/Aug98, pN.PAG
Presents the text of a sermon preached March 22, 1998 at the First Congressional Church of Berkeley in California. Definition of Laetare; Discussion on the Gospel story of the Prodigal son; Mission of modern-day Christians.
- Jesus pushing boundaries. Banbury, Rosalind // Presbyterian Outlook;10/10/2016, Vol. 198 Issue 21, p27
The article provides information on the chapter in Bible "The Gospel of Luke" that describes Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son. Topics discussed include God's support to poor and lessons for rich people, concerns of Almighty to balance money among rich and poor people, and faith of people...
- FATHERS & SONS. Nussbaum, Melissa Musick // Commonweal;10/22/2004, Vol. 131 Issue 18, p46
Discusses the relationship between fathers and sons in relation to the parable about the prodigal son. Rationale used by the son; Questions raised from the parable; Figure signified by the father in the story.
- The Foolish Father and the Economics of Grace. Eastman, Susan // Expository Times;Jul2006, Vol. 117 Issue 10, p402
By both ancient and modern standards, the exemplary father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son is a foolish parent. Nonetheless his foolish actions reveal an economy of grace that opens the door to repentance and reconciliation, by forgiving debts and exercising unaccountable generosity.
- Imagining the Kingdom: Jesus Tells Parables. Perkins, Pheme // Bible Today;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p223
The article states that Jesus used parables to bring people to discover God's presence. These parables include The Prodigal Son, The Unforgiving Servant, and The Good Samaritan. By telling such stories, Jesus is actually asking his followers to change the way they think and act. The parable of...