THE PRODIGAL SON PARABLE AND MACLEAN'S A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT
- The ministry of reconciliation. Hamm, Dennis // America;3/14/1998, Vol. 178 Issue 8, p47
Reflects on the parable `The Prodigal Son.' How Luke, one of the author of the four gospels, described the setting of the parable; Surprises enumerated by the author in analyzing the parable.
- Really?!? De Jong, Patricia E. // Whosoever;
Presents the text of a sermon preached March 22, 1998 at the First Congressional Church of Berkeley in California. Definition of Laetare; Discussion on the Gospel story of the Prodigal son; Mission of modern-day Christians.
- The Foolish Father and the Economics of Grace. Eastman, Susan // Expository Times;Jul2006, Vol. 117 Issue 10, p402
By both ancient and modern standards, the exemplary father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son is a foolish parent. Nonetheless his foolish actions reveal an economy of grace that opens the door to repentance and reconciliation, by forgiving debts and exercising unaccountable generosity.
- The Parables of Christ are Timeless: An example of Roland Allenï¿½s originality introduced by his grandson. Allen, Hubert J. B. // Transformation (02653788);Jul2012, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p186
The article discusses a series of studies of the parables of Christ in which Roland Allen sought to help ordinary people. "The Good Samaritan" was only one of these studies that has been published widely. An overview of the story of "The Parable of the Prodigal Son," which tells which of the two...
- Imagining the Kingdom: Jesus Tells Parables. Perkins, Pheme // Bible Today;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p223
The article states that Jesus used parables to bring people to discover God's presence. These parables include The Prodigal Son, The Unforgiving Servant, and The Good Samaritan. By telling such stories, Jesus is actually asking his followers to change the way they think and act. The parable of...
- Will You Rejoice? Chellew-Hodge, Candace // Whosoever;Nov/Dec2004, pN.PAG
Presents a spiritual reflection on Jesus Christ's parable of the prodigal son. Historical context of the parable; Discussion of the grace of God; Information on several conversion stories that demonstrate the grace of God.
- FATHERS & SONS. Nussbaum, Melissa Musick // Commonweal;10/22/2004, Vol. 131 Issue 18, p46
Discusses the relationship between fathers and sons in relation to the parable about the prodigal son. Rationale used by the son; Questions raised from the parable; Figure signified by the father in the story.
- Ten Reasons to Own Your Faith. Turner, Paul // Whosoever;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p14
The article presents the reasons to own one's faith. He defines hell as being the state of total absence of God and not a place to be found on a map or geological survey. He asserts that people can only find their happiness if they set aside anger, hurt feelings, and indignity. The story of the...
- PARTIAL REVERSIONS. Esolen, Anthony // Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity;Apr2006, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p5
The article focuses on the revert translation of a passage of the book of Luke in the Bible. The prodigal son mocks the faith of his father and brags about his knowledge on Jesus and his realization that he had sin against him alone. This exaggeration is an expression of the author's dismay of...