Fighting colorectal cancer with information technology
- Study confirms benefits of colon cancer screening. Reyes, Damaso // New York Amsterdam News;3/29/2012, Vol. 103 Issue 13, p31
The article reports on a study which states that colonoscopy can reduce deaths due to colon cancer by 41 percent.
- PREVENTING COLON CANCER. Hall, Lynne L. // FDA Consumer;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p14
Discusses colon cancer prevention. Significance of screening and early detection; Discussion on virtual colonoscopy; Information on colorectal cancer and its risk factors; Signs and symptoms of the disease.
- Role of 5-Aminosalicylate in Preventing Colorectal Cancer. Riyaz, Shahzad; Hamlin, John; Everett, Simon // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Sep2011, Vol. 106 Issue 9, p1720
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "5-Aminosalicylate is not chemoprophylactic for colorectal cancer in IBD: a population based study," by C.N. Bernstein, Z. Nugent and J.F. Blanchard in the 2011 issue.
- Is the Effectiveness of Colonoscopy â€œGood Enoughâ€ for Population-Based Screening? Baxter, Nancy N.; Rabeneck, Linda // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;1/20/2010, Vol. 102 Issue 2, p70
The authors feel that the effectiveness of colonoscopy in preventing colorectal cancers is not sufficient to be exposed to the risks associated with the procedure. The rate of serious adverse complications, including death due to colonoscopy is considered high for use in the general population....
- A new method for screening and surveillance colonoscopy: Combined water-exchange and cap-assisted colonoscopy. Yen, Andrew W.; Leung, Joseph W.; Leung, Felix W. // Journal of Interventional Gastroenterology;7/ 1/2012, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p114
Background & Aims: Colonoscopy plays an important and central role in current colorectal cancer screening and prevention programs, but it is an imperfect tool. Adjunct techniques may help improve the performance of colonoscopy to increase the detection of polyps with neoplastic potential. This...
- How to Get the Most out of Your Colonoscopy. // Cleveland Clinic Men's Health Advisor;Oct2014, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p1
The article presents a study that investigates ways on how colorectal cancer (CRC) patients can benefit from colonoscopy in the U.S. Researchers discovered that colonoscopy can save the lives of CRC patients and can prevent CRC but its efficacy depends largely on the expertise and skills of...
- Introduction of flexible sigmoidoscopy in screening a 'no-brainer', say experts. // Gastrointestinal Nursing;May2010, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p14
The article introduces the flexible sigmoidoscopy which is a bowel cancer screening used for prevention of colorectal cancer. It informs that this technique can detect pre-cancerous polyps, which can be removed before they turn into cancer. It also mentions that with this technique sedation or...
- For Cancer Screening, There's No Substitute for Colonoscopy. // Running & FitNews;Sep/Oct2007, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p6
The article focuses on the colonoscopy procedure and its benefits for detecting cancer. The early detection procedure has proven to reduce colon cancer related deaths by sixty percent. Details related to the colonoscopy state that it is not painful, it requires a 24 hour fast and flushing of the...
- Fewer Left-Sided Colorectal Tumors Observed after Colonoscopies. // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;1/20/2010, Vol. 102 Issue 2, pNP
The article focuses on a research which revealed that the strong protective effect of colonoscopy in colorectal cancer prevention is evident to the left colon and rectum. It references a study published online in the "Journal of the National Cancer Institute" on December 30, 2010. Research led...