ICE-BASED THERMAL-ENERGY STORAGE
- Storage gains momentum, 30 years on. Varley, James // Modern Power Systems;Jan2011, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p10
In this article the author mentions several published issues of the journal that tackles the role of compressed air energy storage (CAES) in Great Britain. The author states that storing the heat was the key challenge identified 30 years ago and it remains the same issue for adiabatic CAES for...
- An Innovative Reconfigurable Integrated Converter Topology Suitable for Distributed Generation. Rizzo, Renato; Tricoli, Pietro; Spina, Ivan // Energies (19961073);Sep2012, Vol. 5 Issue 9, p3640
The electricity market and environmental concerns, with wide utilization of renewable sources, have improved the diffusion of distributed generation units changing the operations of distribution grids from passive networks to microgrids. A microgrid includes a cluster of electrical loads, energy...
- ENERGY STORAGE: NOT JUST R&D NOR NECESSARILY EXPENSIVE. Blankinship, Steve // Power Engineering;May2006, Vol. 110 Issue 5, p56
Discusses the benefits of energy storage as a valuable component of electronic power systems. Technologies that can benefit from the component; Examples of energy storage technology; Cost of the fully installed thermal energy storage element in 2004.
- Assignment Model for Charging of Thermal Energy Storage by Electric Chillers Using Zero-one Programming Approach. Nordin, Adzuieen; Abd Majid, Mohd Amin // Asian Journal of Scientific Research;2013, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p546
Thermal Energy Storage (TES) system is commonly installed at District Cooling plant for storing of chilled water (CHW). The stored CHW is used to support requirement of chilled water during day time. Charging of the TES tank by the electrical chillers (EC) is done during off-peak hours. For the...
- Leveraging Thermal and Compressed Air Energy Storage. Morrison, David // Power Electronics Technology;Oct2004, Vol. 30 Issue 10, p95
Discusses the use of thermal and compressed air energy storage to create a self-contained power backup system capable of delivering 80 kilowatts for 15 minutes. Key limitation of the compressed air and thermal energy storage approach; Reduction in maintenance costs; Environmentally benign energy...
- 'Ice Cap' design lowers electric bills. // Design News;5/3/93, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p44
The article reports that an innovative cap design and a polypropylene have joined forces to solve an unusual sealing challenge for an efficient thermal energy storage system. The Reaction Ice Lens unit and a screw-on cap with self-adhesive liner form the heart of the system. To achieve maximum...
- BACKUP INSURANCE. // Telephony;12/3/2001, Vol. 241 Issue 23, pPTN8
No abstract available.
- Lessons from Iowa: Development of a 270 Megawatt Compressed Air Energy Storage Project in Midwest Independent System Operator. // Transmission & Distribution World Exclusive Insight;10/12/2012, p11
The article reports on the development of a compressed air energy storage (CAES) in Iowa.
- A Review on Concepts, Applications, and Models of Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage Systems. Kun Sang Lee // Energies (19961073);Jun2010, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p1320
Being a heat source or sink, aquifers have been used to store large quantities of thermal energy to match cooling and heating supply and demand on both a short-term and long-term basis. The current technical, economic, and environmental status of aquifer thermal energy storage (ATES) is...