Sri Lanka's Future
- Sri Lanka makes gains in war, but won't let its media tell the public. Chance, Matthew // Christian Science Monitor;5/13/96, Vol. 88 Issue 117, p6
Reports on political developments in Sri Lanka as of May 13, 1996. Sri Lankan Army's gains in its offensive against separatist Tamil Tigers rebels; Imposition of media censorship.
- Already at War? // Asia Monitor: South Asia Monitor;Jun2006, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p1
The article reflects on the conflict between the Sri Lankan government and the Tamil Tiger rebels. The rebels initiated an attack on military headquarters in Colombo killing several people. The incident prompted the military to retaliate by air and artillery strikes. Indications revealed that...
- The Tamils need support. // Green Left Weekly;4/22/2009, Issue 791, p3
The author reflects on the injustice killings of Tamil people by Sri Lankan Army (SLA) which the government claims as merely a war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
- Ghosts of war haunt Sri Lanka in peacetime. David, Anthony // South Asian Post;5/26/2011, p13
The article reports on the struggle of Sri Lanka to address issues brought from the war against Tamil Tiger rebels.
- Sri Lanka says all child soldiers freed. // South Asian Post;10/25/2012, p20
The article reports that the government of Sri Lanka has freed former Tamil Tiger, a separatist militant organization, child soldiers who underwent rehabilitation after being arrested.
- Tiger Cull. Hogg, Charu Lata // World Today;Mar2009, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p30
This article discusses the political situation in Sri Lanka following the defeat of the Liberations Tigers of Tamil Eclam (LTTE) as a conventional fighting force. The reinvention of the LTTE as a terrorist organization and the suppression of human rights in the Tamil region of Sri Lanka are...
- POLITICAL CONDITIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Democratic Socialist;February2005, p10
The article focuses on the political conditions in Sri Lanka. UNP and the PA are two major political parties of Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka has a multi-party democracy that enjoys considerable stability despite relatively high levels of political violence. Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam terrorist...
- Politics Overshadow Budget. // Asia Monitor: South Asia Monitor;Jan2004, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p7
This article highlights the political & economic conditions of Sri Lanka as of January 09, 2004. Country's finance minister, K.N. Choksy, has warned that political crisis is threatening the island's economic recovery as of January 09, 2004. In his budget speech to parliament, Choksy said that...
- Peace Remains Elusive. // Asia Monitor: South Asia Monitor;Oct2005, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p1
The article focuses on the political condition in Sri Lanka. The outcome of the Presidential election is likely to have a lasting impact on peace talks with the rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). Sri Lanka's hard-lined Marxist JVP has offered to back the ruling party on condition...