Study conclusions should reflect results
- Respiratory fluoroquinolones for the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Vardakas, Konstantinos Z.; Siempos, Ilias I.; Grammatikos, Alexandros; Athanassa, Zoe; Korbila, Ioanna P.; Falagas, Matthew E. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;12/2/2008, Vol. 179 Issue 12, p1269
Background: We investigated whether the use of respiratory fluoroquinolones was associated with better clinical outcomes compared with the use of macrolides and Î²- lactams among adults with pneumonia. Methods: We searched PubMed, Current Contents, Scopus, EMBASE, ClinicalTrials.gov and...
- Early switch therapy from intravenous sulbactam/ampicillin to oral garenoxacin in patients with community-acquired pneumonia: a multicenter, randomized study in Japan. Kohno, Shigeru; Yanagihara, Katsunori; Yamamoto, Yoshihiro; Tokimatsu, Issei; Hiramatsu, Kazufumi; Higa, Futoshi; Tateyama, Masao; Fujita, Jiro; Kadota, Jun-ichi // Journal of Infection & Chemotherapy (Springer Science & Business;Dec2013, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p1035
The switch from intravenous to oral antibiotic therapy is recommended for treating hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP). We performed a multicenter, randomized study to assess the benefit of switching from intravenous sulbactam/ampicillin (SBT/ABPC) to oral garenoxacin...
- A Multi-Center Randomised Controlled Trial of Gatifloxacin versus Azithromycin for the Treatment of Uncomplicated Typhoid Fever in Children and Adults in Vietnam. Dolecek, Christiane; Tran Thi Phi La; Nguyen Ngoc Rang; Le Thi Phuong; Ha Vinh; Phung Quoc Tuan; Doan Cong Du; Nguyen Thi Be Bay; Duong Thanh Long; Luong Bich Ha; Nguyen Trung Binh; Nguyen Thi Anh Hong; Pham Ngoc Dung; Mai Ngoc Lanh; Phan Van Be Bay; Vo Anh Ho; Nguyen Van Minh Hoang; Tran Thu Thi Nga; Tran Thuy Chau; Schultsz, Constance // PLoS Clinical Trials;May2008, Vol. 5 Issue 5, Special section p1
Background: Drug resistant typhoid fever is a major clinical problem globally. Many of the first line antibiotics, including the older generation fluoroquinolones, ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin, are failing. Objectives: We performed a randomised controlled trial to compare the efficacy and safety...
- What Is the Efficacy and Safety of Colistin for the Treatment of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia? A Systematic Review and Meta-Regression. Florescu, Diana F.; Qiu, Fang; McCartan, Megan A.; Mindru, Cezarina; Fey, Paul D.; Kalil, A. C. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;3/1/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p670
Background. Experience with intravenous and aerosolized forms of colistin for the treatment of ventilatorassociated pneumonia (VAP) in patients without cystic fibrosis is limited. We aimed to assess the safety and efficacy of colistin for the treatment of VAP. Methods. We searched MEDLINE and...
- Efficacy of levofloxacin-based rescue therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection after standard triple therapy: a randomized controlled trial. Kuo, Chao-Hung; Hu, Huang-Ming; Kuo, Fu-Chen; Hsu, Ping-I.; Chen, Angela; Yu, Fang-Jung; Tsai, Pei-Yun; Wu, I.-Chen; Wang, Sheng-Wen; Li, Chia-Jung; Weng, Bi-Chuang; Chang, Lin-Li; Jan, Chang-Ming; Wang, Wen-Ming; Wu, Deng-Chyang // Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (JAC);May2009, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p1017
: Objectives This prospective study was designed to determine the efficacy of a levofloxacin-based rescue therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection after failure of standard triple therapies. We also surveyed the predictors of this rescue therapy. : Patients and methods From June 2005 to March...
- THE POTENCY/EFFICACY OF THE FLUROQUINOLONES IN COMMUNITY-ACQUIRED PNEUMONIA. Mandell, Lionel A. // Managed Healthcare Executive;Jun2002 Supplement 1, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p27
Examines the efficacy of the fluoroquinolones in community-acquired pneumonia. Characteristics of community-acquired pneumonia; Properties of fluoroquinolones, the quinolones antibacterial agents; Comparison of fluoroquinolones with other antibacterial agents.
- Ofloxacin Once Daily Versus Twice Daily in Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Krcméry Jr, V. // Drugs;Dec1999 Supplement 2, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p282
Reports on the use of quinolone ofloxacin in the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia. Patients and methods; Results and discussion.
- The authors reply. Carbonell, A.; Kercher, K.; Sing, R.; Heniford, B. // Surgical Endoscopy;Dec2005, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p1670
A letter to the editor in response to the article describing the clinical use of a novel Bulgarian, quinolone-impregnated mesh is presented.
- Fluoroquinolone resistance in Salmonella. Cooke, Fiona J.; Wain, John; Threlfall, E. John // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/12/2006, Vol. 333 Issue 7563, p353
This article presents a letter to the editor in response to the article, "Test for quinolone resistance in typhoid fever," by C. M. Parry, L. Karunanayake, J. B. Coulter and N. J. Beeching in the July 29, 2006 issue.