Diagnosing Dizziness in the Emergency and Primary Care Settings
- Spells. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Aug1997, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p1
Offers information on spells highlighting the causes. Symptoms of a spell; Information on the categories that the causes of spells can be divided into; When to seek emergency care; Areas where one can help a doctor. INSET: Do a pulse check..
- The prevalence and characteristics of dizziness in an elderly community. Colledge, Nicola R.; Wilson, Janet A. // Age & Ageing;Mar1994, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p117
Determines the prevalence of dizziness in people aged 65 years and over living at home in South West Edinburgh, Scotland. Characteristics of reported dizziness; Relationship between dizziness and cardiovascular risk factors; Incidence of dizziness; Associations between prevalence of dizziness,...
- Spin Control. Drexler, Madeline // Good Housekeeping;Oct99, Vol. 229 Issue 4, p80
Presents information on dizziness. Percentage of cases of dizziness that is linked to a major illness; Major causes of dizziness in women; How dizziness is treated in different cases. INSET: When Dizziness Is Serious.
- Electronystagmography: Dizziness and vestibulocollic symptoms. Brookler, Kenneth H.; Palacios, Enrique; Valvassori, Galdino; Antonio, Michael D' // ENT: Ear, Nose & Throat Journal;Nov2000, Vol. 79 Issue 11, p841
Deals with the findings of the neurotologic examination of a 50-year-old woman complaining of an intermittent tingling in the back of her head. Dizzy spells of the woman; Performance of the woman in the Romberg test; Views on the application of the Jongkees' formula in the woman's case.
- Dizziness: State of the Science. Sloan, Philip D.; Coeytaux, Remy R.; Dallara, John // Annals of Internal Medicine;05/01/2001 Part 2, Vol. 134 Issue 9, p823
Investigates the symptoms of dizziness to provide investigators with a consistent criteria in describing the condition in order to establish correct diagnosis. Prevalence of dizziness on all age groups; Classification of dizziness; Relationship between dizziness and functional impairment;...
- Causes of dizziness in elderly persons. Walling, Anne W. // American Family Physician;1/1/1997, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p334
Summarizes a study by N.R. Colledge, et al, in the 1996 issue of the periodical `British Medical Journal,' volume 313, that investigates the cause of dizziness in elderly persons. How the tests were designed to identify common causes of dizziness that patients in the study underwent; Background...
- Breakthroughs in diagnosing and managing the dizzy patient. // Modern Medicine;Dec95, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p19
Reports on breakthroughs in diagnosing and managing dizzy patients. Causes of dizziness; Advances in Neuronitis, Canalithiasis and Meniere's disease; Diagnosis; Treatment.
- Five keys for diagnosing most vertigo, dizziness, and imbalance syndromes: an expert opinion. Brandt, Thomas; Strupp, Michael; Dieterich, Marianne // Journal of Neurology;Jan2014, Vol. 261 Issue 1, p229
A letter to the editor about the diagnostic criteria for vertigo, dizziness and imbalance syndromes which are used by the German Center for Vertigo and Balance Disorders is presented.
- Using the Romberg's test to evaluate dizziness. Thomas, Susan // Practice Nursing;Feb2013, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p84
The article offers step-by-step instructions for using and administering the Romberg's test to pinpoint sensory insufficiency as well as some general information on the causes of a positive test.