Phonological Awareness in Preschoolers With Spoken Language Impairment: Toward a Better Understanding of Causal Relationships and Effective Intervention. A Constructive Comment on Rvachew and Grawburg's (2006) Study
- Reflections on Phonological Working Memory, Letter Knowledge, and Phonological Awareness: A Reply to Hartmann (2008). Rvachew, Susan; Grawburg, Meghann // Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research;Oct2008, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p1219
Purpose: S. Rvachew and M. Grawburg (2006) found that speech perception and vocabulary skills jointly predicted the phonological awareness skills of children with a speech sound disorder. E. Hartmann (2008) suggested that the Rvachew and Grawburg model would be improved by the addition of...
- Introduction to the special issue about perspectives on teachersâ€™ disciplinary knowledge of reading processes, development, and pedagogy. Cunningham, Anne; Zibulsky, Jamie // Reading & Writing;Apr2009, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p375
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Louisa Moats on contemporary challenges in teaching profession, one by McCutchen, Green, and Abbott on professional development program, and one on phonological awareness.
- Kids Need to Play with Language. Mayer, Polly // Educational Leadership;Mar2012, Vol. 69 Issue 6, p89
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience learning the importance of phonemic awareness in teaching.
- Could proficiency in English be a factor? Bhutta, Mahmood F. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;4/2/2011, Vol. 342 Issue 7800, p724
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Ethnicity and academic performance in UK trained doctors and medical students: systematic review and meta-analysis," by K. Woolf in the March 8, 2011 issue.
- Brains Process Language Universal More Easily. // ASHA Leader;Aug2014, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p20
The article presents a study by Iris Berent of Northeastern University and researchers at Harvard Medical School, which showed that the human brain processes language universals or syllables used frequently across languages more easily. The study was published in the April 17, 2014 issue of...
- So, Morphological Awareness Contributes to Reading in Brazilian Portuguese? de Freitas Junior, Pedro Viana; da Mota, Márcia Maria Peruzzi Elia // Psico-USF;set-dez2015, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p471
The present study aims to answer a recently raised controversy regarding the role that morphological awareness has to reading skills acquisition in Brazilian Portuguese. The aim was to investigate whether morphological awareness contributes to reading after controlling for non-verbal...
- Inner Ear Deficiency That Affects Speech Processing May Have Autism Link. // ASHA Leader;Nov2016, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p12
The article presents a study published in a 2016 issue of "Autism Research," which showed that children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) could have reduced otoacoustic emissions at a frequency hindering speech processing. Also cited are the noninvasive technique for screening children for...
- Orthographic facilitation and phonological inhibition in spoken word recognition: A developmental study. Johannes C. Ziegler; Mathilde Muneaux // Psychonomic Bulletin & Review;Feb2007, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p75
We investigated the extent to which learning to read and write affects spoken word recognition. Previous studies have reported orthographic effects on spoken language in skilled readers. However, very few studies have addressed the development of these effects as a function of reading expertise....
- Homophonic and semantic priming of Japanese kanji words: A time course study. Hsin-Chin Chen; Takashi Yamauchi; Katsuo Tamaoka; Jyotsna Vaid // Psychonomic Bulletin & Review;Feb2007, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p64
In an examination of the time course of activation of phonological and semantic information in processing kanji script, two lexical decision experiments were conducted with native readers of Japanese. Kanji targets were preceded at short (85-msec) and long (150-msec) intervals by homophonic,...