Intentional Ingestion of Ethanol-Based Hand Sanitizer by a Hospitalized Patient With Alcoholism
- Ocular manifestations and MRI findings in a case of methanol poisoning. C.-S. Yang; W.-J. Tsai; J.-F. Lirng // Eye;Jul2005, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p806
Presents a letter to the editor providing information on ocular manifestations and MRI findings in a case of methanol poisoning.
- Grayanotoxin Poisoning From Flower of Rhododendron mucronulatum in Humans. Choi, S.-H.; Lee, S.-W.; Hong, Y.-S.; Lim, S.-I. // Bulletin of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology;Jan2007, Vol. 78 Issue 1, p11
A letter to the editor is presented about grayanotoxin poisoning from the consumption of azalea blossoms by humans in Korea.
- Gut contamination of acutely poisoned patients: why is no one using the NICE guideline? Burbeck, R.; Kendall, T.; Lelliott, P.; Volans, G.; Baston, S. // Emergency Medicine Journal;Sep2008, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p619
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Gut Decontamination of Acutely Poisoned Patients: What Do Doctors Really Know About It?," by D. M. Wood, S. L. Greene, A. L. Jones, et al. in a previous issue.
- Lithium Toxicity Associated with a Trichobezoar. Brown, Denyse Thornley; Galla, John H.; Williams, Phillip D.; Kant, K. Sashi; Rashkin, Mitchell // Annals of Internal Medicine;5/1/92, Vol. 116 Issue 9, p739
Describes a case of lithium toxicity characterized by recurrently elevated serum lithium levels despite adequate hemodialysis in a woman admitted to the emergency department of the University of Cincinnati Hospital in Ohio. Details of medical history; Results of physical and laboratory tests;...
- number needed to harm. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1606
An encyclopedia entry for "number needed to harm" is presented, referring to the number of patients who would need to be exposed to a noxious agent or medical intervention in order that one might be harmed in assessing the relative hazard posed by medical interventions and the relative...
- Safety meeting blueprint: Test your knowledge. // Safety Alert for Supervisors;5/5/2008, Vol. 5 Issue 116, p4
A quiz about safety associated with poison ivy, oak and sumac is presented.
- The unreported morbidity of suicidal poisonings during an insurgency: a 16-year Kashmir experience. Wani, Zaid Ahmed; Dhar, Shabir Ahmed; Hussain, Arshad; Qureshi, Waseem // Tropical Doctor;Jul2008, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p170
Around a million people commit suicide, and at least 10 times this number attempt suicide, worldwide every year. No nationwide epidemiological studies have been undertaken in India but a significant rise in suicides has been observed in Kashmir in recent years. This study was carried out on...
- Three very unwise men. Colls, B. M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);06/26/99, Vol. 318 Issue 7200, p1729
Relates the case of three men who ingested foxglove or Digitalis purpurea. Description of the physiological effects of the plant; How the symptoms were abated.
- Poison prevention: A year-round goal. // Child Health Alert;Feb97, Vol. 15, p3
Reports on the Poison Prevention Week Council's offering of a packet of materials that helps raise awareness about accidental poisonings and their prevention. Contact information.