- Northwest Indiana. Starr, Jean // Chicagoland Gardening;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p11
The article provides information on the Southern Lake Michigan Rim Project undertaken by the Nature Conservancy to restore the habitat of the Karner blue butterfly and establish their population and encourages readers to volunteer for the Illinois Butterfly Monitoring Network.
- Karner Blue Butterfly (Lycaeides melissa samuelis). // Endangered Species Bulletin;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p25
Reports on the habitat restored by the Partners for Fish and Wildlife for the Karner blue butterfly in Albany, New York. Information on the Albany Pine Bush habitat; Efforts in removing unwanted vegetation;k Plants seeded in the habitat suitable for the butterflies.
- Line transect sampling of Karner blue butterflies ( Lycaeides melissa samuelis). Brown, J.; Boyce, M. // Environmental & Ecological Statistics;Mar1998, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p81
Line transect sampling is an effective survey method for estimating butterfly densities because it provides unbiased estimates of site-density (provided key assumptions are met), and estimates are comparable among sites. For monitoring Karner blue butterflies in Wisconsin, USA, comparable...
- On a Wing and a Prayer. SANTERRE, JASON // Harrowsmith Country Life (11908416);Apr2010, Vol. 34 Issue 211, p26
The article offers information on different kinds of Canadian butterflies. Peter Hall of the Field Naturalists Club had been conducting a Canadian butterfly census in Ottawa, Toronto since 2000 before he retired in 2010. The event has attracted within 25 nature lovers and butterfly fanatics to...
- The Karner Blue Butterfly, Behavior, and the Role of Fire in Managing a Reintroduced Population. Pickens, Bradley A. // Endangered Species Update;2009, Vol. 26 Issue 1/2, p15
The Kamer blue butterfly (Kamer blue) [Lycaeides melissa samuelis] was extirpated from the oak savanna of Ohio, USA in 1989, and the butterfly was later reintroduced with little knowledge about how Kamer blues respond to habitat management. While burning maintains the oak savanna habitat of the...
- Declines of prairie butterflies in the midwestern USA. Swengel, Scott R.; Schlicht, Dennis; Olsen, Frank; Swengel, Ann B. // Journal of Insect Conservation;Apr2011, Vol. 15 Issue 1/2, p327
Tallgrass prairie butterfly surveys in recent decades in four states in the USA indicate numerous declines of prairie-specialist butterflies including Speyeria idalia, Oarisma poweshiek, Atrytone arogos, Hesperia dacotae, and H. ottoe in fire-managed preserves, including large high-quality ones....
- Mowing and Herbicide of Scrub Oaks in Pine Barrens: Baseline Data (New York). Briedq, Jason T.; Gifford, Neil A. // Ecological Restoration;Sep2010, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p245
The article focuses on the condition of the Albany Pine Bush (APB) Preserve after the herbicide treatment and mowing applied to its scrub oaks in Albany, New York. It mentions the relevance of mowing and herbicide treatments to the restoration of Karner blue butterflies and other plant and...
- Need help for kids. // Breckenridge American;10/13/2007, Vol. 82, p8A
A letter to the editor is presented from a reader seeking donations to get their community center running.
- To the editors. Jones, Kay Bea // Places: Forum of Design for the Public Realm;Spring2007, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p93
A letter to the editor is presented about the Buckeye Village Community Center project in Ohio.