In Defense of Catholic Charities
- Bratislava soup kitchen an island of stability for homeless. Habsudova, Zuzana // Slovak Spectator;12/18/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 48, p6
Deals with the charity work of the Bratislava Catholic Charity (BCC) in Bratislava, Slovakia. Background of the life of homeless Frantisek Baran; Main aim of BCC; Services and goods provided by BCC; Priorities of BCC according to BCC worker Viera Pribilova.
- 24th Day: Saint Charles Caritas at the TJ Dumpsite. Acierto, Marissa // La Prensa San Diego;12/30/2011, Vol. 35 Issue 52, p2
The article offers information on the annual Charity on the Border event of Saint Charles Catholic Church volunteers on December 24, 2011 in Tijuana, Mexico.
- Toledo. // National Catholic Reporter;10/8/93, Vol. 29 Issue 43, p4
Features an ecumenical program stated by the Toledo diocese's Rural Life Ministry called Project Farm Hands. Efforts to feed the hungry; Teaching urban school children about food sources; Farm tours.
- Detroit archdiocese seeks $100 million for endowment. Lawton, Millicent // Education Week;2/16/94, Vol. 13 Issue 21, p3
Reports on the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit, Mich.'s one-year fund-raising drive for a $100 million endowment. Tuition grants to be offered by the archdiocese in fall 1994; Limitation of financial aid to Catholic students; Distribution of the remaining percentage of the endowment.
- Why the preferential option for the poor is not optional. Jezreel, Jack // U.S. Catholic;Nov97, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p30
Discusses the role of Catholics in making a preferential option for the poor. Experience of Archbishop Oscar Romero in El Salvador; Importance of being directly connected to the poor; Need for Catholics to become advocates; Giving money to the poor. INSET: Are you serving for the poor, or..,...
- Sisters sell hospital, fund charitable projects. Gibeau, Dawn // National Catholic Reporter;10/6/95, Vol. 31 Issue 43, p9
Highlights the charitable projects launched by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondolet in Minnesota. Use of proceeds from sale of the Saint Mary's Hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota; Project grants for the poor; Educational and health programs.
- St. Ann A.C.T.S. to host 5k in La Vernia. // Wilson County News;4/2/2014, p3C
The article informs that the Saint Ann Catholic Church Teen (A.C.T.S.) will host its fifth annual 5K Fun Run/Walk at the church on U.S. 87 in La Vernia, Texas on May 3, 2014 to benefit the Teen ACTS program for its youth retreat to be held in July 2014 and for the non-profit Open Doors Ministry.
- Americans giving less money, time to charity; Catholics lead retreat. // National Catholic Reporter;10/28/94, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p6
Reports on the decline in charitable work by Catholics in the United States. Voluntary work and monetary contributions; Comparison with other religious groups.
- Of Many Things. Anderson, George M. // America;6/23/2008, Vol. 198 Issue 20, p2
A personal narrative is presented which discusses the author's experience of celebrating an Evening Prayer and eating with the people at Maryhouse and St. Joseph, hospitality houses that are part of the Catholic Worker movement founded by Dorothy Day, in New York City.