Freud on the Mind
- Marjorie Rosenberg replies:. Rosenberg, Marjorie // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Apr1992, Issue 22, p3
Presents a response by Marjorie Rosenberg to letter to the editor about her article "The Mindless Self: Freud Triumphant," which appeared in the December 1991 issue of "First Things."
- Does environmental ethics need a metaphysical grounding? Vogel, Lawrence // Hastings Center Report;1995 Supplement, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p30
Analyzes the philosopher Hans Jonas' philosophical critique of nihilism. Expansion of existential interpretation to biological facts; Recognizing materialism as a metaphysical prejudice; Acknowledging the presence of subjective value; Grounding for ontological goodness; Theology for overcoming...
- Why the subtraction argument does not add up. Paseau, Alexander // Analysis;Jan2002, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p73
Invalidates the subtraction argument of Gonzalo Rodriguez-Pereyra's proof of nihilism. Possibility of a world with a finite domain of concrete objects; Probability of the non-existence of each of the objects; Absence of the necessity of the existence of any of the objects from the absence of...
- Metaphysical nihilism and the subtraction argument. Lowe, E. J. // Analysis;Jan2002, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p62
Discusses metaphysical nihilism and the subtraction argument. Concept of a concrete object; Necessary existence of some abstract objects such as natural numbers; Dependence of abstract objects on there concrete entities.
- Two Challenges to Moral Nihilism. Almeida, Michael // Review of Metaphysics;Dec2010, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p437
An abstract of the article "Two Challenges to Moral Nihilism," by Michael Almeida is presented.
- OVERCOMING NIHILISM. Gare, Arran // Cosmos & History;2011, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the history of the term nihilism in a scientific naturalism, the influence of F. W. J. Schelling on process-metaphysics, and the traditions of thought and nihilistic culture.
- CINIZMAS IR NIHILIZMAS. Gutauskas, Mintautas // Religion & Culture / Religija ir Kultura;2012, Vol. 10, p22
No abstract available.
- Metaphysical nihilism defended: reply to Lowe and Paseau. Rodriguez-Pereyra, Gonzalo // Analysis;Apr2002, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p172
Defends metaphysical nihilism, the thesis that there could have been no concrete objects. Subtraction argument that proves metaphysical nihilism; Response to doubts about the validity of subtraction argument; Premises of anti-nihilist arguments.
- Lowe's argument against nihilism. Rodriguez-Pereyra, Gonzalo // Analysis;Oct2000, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p335
Defends nihilism from an argument purporting to show that concrete objects exist necessarily. Subtraction argument to prove nihilism; Existence of abstract objects in every possible world; Defense of realism about universals; Dependence of universals on sets and of sets on universals; Cycle...