- A Green Building for the Wild Blue Yonder. Ross, Chuck // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Mar2007, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p34
The article provides information about the internal auxiliary preconditioned air (PCA) unit installed at airports. PCA units are either direct-expansion or fed from central plant with a glycol-water mix. To aid owners choose which type would be used , TLC Engineering for Architecture has...
- checking airflow. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;7/11/2005, Vol. 225 Issue 11, p1
Provides tips on how measure airflow in any air conditioning system.
- Parasitic Loads. Pearson, Andy // ASHRAE Journal;Sep2012, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p90
The seventh in a series of articles that explores refrigeration and heat pump concepts is presented. This article discusses a parasitic load for cooling systems which means an additional demand on resources that could be smaller or need not be there. The two types of parasitic loss, deliberate...
- VAV Boxes. Stein, Jeff // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Nov2005, Vol. 77 Issue 11, p40
Focuses on the important zone-level and controls decisions a specifying engineer must make in using variable-air-volume (VAV) box. Box options; Basic steps in box sizing; Reason of VAV-box manufacturers for specifying the even sizes from 6 inches and above.
- Sanyo expands distributor network. // ACR News: Air Conditioning & Refrigeration News;Apr2009, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p10
The article features Air Conditioning Accessories Ltd., a company appointed as the exclusive distributor of Sanyo airconditioning products and systems for the north and northeast of England. The company was established by Richard Steward in 2004 and started out on the sale of supply accessories...
- letters to the editor. Farley, Tom; McDonough, Scott // Engineered Systems;Nov2003, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p10
Presents letters to the editor referencing articles and topics discussed in previous issues. Control of power boilers; Operation of chillers in the max-cap range.
- Hybrid Desiccant Cooling Systems. Saidi, M. H.; Vazirifard, S. // ASHRAE Journal;Jan2007, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p44
The article presents a study investigating the efficiency of using hybrid desiccant cooling systems for building ventilation in Iran. The authors consider the possibility of using hybrid desiccant cooling systems instead of conventional vapor compression cooling systems through some key...
- Methods for Fault Detection, Diagnostics, and Prognostics for Building Systems--A Review, Part I. Katipamula, Srinivas; Brambley, Michael R. // HVAC&R Research;Jan2005, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p3
Poorly maintained, degraded, and improperly controlled equipment wastes an estimated 15% to 30% of energy used in commercial buildings. Much of this waste could be prevented with widespread adoption of automated condition-based maintenance. Automated fault detection and diagnostics (FDD) along...
- products in focus. // Engineered Systems;Sep2004, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p100
Features several heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration products. Chimney systems; Flexible duct; Cooling towers; Compressors; Dataloggers.